Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm thinking of spicing up my '94 ST coupe with some new wheels and tires. I have decided I like the Aodhan Ah02, which is a 17x8 wheel and I want to put 225/45/r17 tires on. Will this combo rub or will I be just fine??

·
Registered
91 Posts
It all depends on the offset. I ran a Scion TC wheel. Those are 17x7 with a 45mm offset. I used a 215/45/17 tire and had no clearance issues. So your tire will be about 3/8" taller. Keep in mind the tire rev/mile value as that effects the speedometer accuracy and odometer reading. To understand offset, convert 45mm to inches....1.77in. So then you take wheel width divide by 2 and add the offset......5.27in from back edge of rim to wheel mounting face (backspacing). To have an 8in wheel end up with the same backspacing...5,27 -4 =1.27. Convert to mm and you end up with around 32mm offset. However, that puts difference of one 1in width on the outside. That means that the wheel sticks out farther which could be looks or it could rub the top of the fender lip when you hit a bump. I doubt that because there is a lot of clearance there but with a taller tire, it doesn't help the situation. It might be a looks thing. So that is where you can split the difference by moving more of the wheel inside by increasing the offset at the risk of rubbing during a full lock turn. All I can suggest is a yard stick and a tape measure and many videos online to measure for wheels. If you do test fit the wheel before buying, don't forget to jack the control arm back up to ride height to check clearance to strut and lock to lock.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts