Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Hi. I have a white 88 Celica convertible for sale for USD 1500 or EUR 1300. This is a great deal, the car is worth more than that in the summer time. The reason I am selling it so cheap is because I need money NOW. It is located near Seattle in Washington State, in the USA. It runs great, the body is straight, it has no dents or dings, has never been in a wreck, but has a couple of minor problems. Well, after all, it is 15 years old. The whole story of the car follows, and my contact information is at the end.

At some time, I don’t know really when, somebody ran the car with no oil and completely ruined the engine. It had a lien on it at the time, and the insurance company totalled it. A used car dealership in Twin Falls Idaho bought the car from the insurance company, and replaced the ruined engine with one from a junkyard. Unbeknownst to them (I think these guys were pretty stupid) the replacement engine had a bad water pump, so when they took the car out to test drive it, they stupidly went on a long trip, overheated the engine, blew the head gasket and cracked the radiator, and still drove it back with the blown head gasket and everything, pouring oil into it every couple of miles (stupid). They didn’t know what to do with the car, and it sat on their lot for a couple of months, until I came along in July of this year. I bought the car for 800 dollars. I popped the head off and found that it was warped. After dismantling it and cleaning it up, I took it to a machine shop where they decked it, removing 12 thousandths. I cleaned all the parts (they were covered with carbon and smelled like burnt popcorn) and reassembled the head using new o-ring kits for the injectors and replacing all the burnt up and messy gaskets. I checked the timing belt, and the play was within factory tolerances, and the condition looked good. I put the whole thing back together with new spark plugs and it runs like a champ. The only noticeable thing is that because of taking so much off the head, the compression has been increased slightly. This means just a little more power, but it also means that you should use premium fuel (using regular there is a faint engine knock between 2700 and 3100 rpm). I drove the car for a couple months and loved it, but I moved to Finland in September in order to pursue graduate studies there, and I left the car with my sister in Seattle to sell it for me, only she hasn’t had the time really to deal with it, so now I am trying to do it from Finland. I need the money quick because I am almost out of cash and I won’t get work permission for probably another two or three months. I am trying to get ahold of some digital pictures in order to put the car on e-bay, but in the meantime you can beat the crowds and maybe get a better deal on it than it will go for on e-bay because the price I am asking is pretty cheap.

The car has a couple of minor problems that you should know about. Firstly, it was vandalized while it sat in the dealership lot. Somebody keyed the passenger side rear quarter panel. I tried to fix this using the “touch up” paint from schuck’s but I did a really lousy job, and from a distance you cannot tell but the finish is not glossy, it is pretty dull.
Also they knifed the top in two places. Above the passenger front seat there is a hole in the shape of an L about 4 inches (7 cm) long on one side and 3 inches (5 cm) long on the other. There is a straight slice on the side behind the passenger side quarter window about 5 inches (9 cm) long. There is no radio. There are speakers, but no radio. The passenger side rear quarter window does not function. It is stuck about halfway down and will not go either direction. I checked for voltage at the connection to the motor, and it has voltage there when the switch is depressed, so I am thinking that it is a bad contact between the connection and the motor (this seems to be a pretty common problem with 4th generation convertibles, I don’t know how many times I have seen that. All you have to do is get the motor out—it is difficult to get your hand in there and even more difficult to turn the motor in the correct way so that it will come out—and then use a soldering iron to remake the connection). The car has been in Seattle since September, so with the hole in the roof and the half-open window, I a sure by now the seats are pretty wet, although my sister says there is no mold and no bad smell, so they should be fine once they are allowed to dry out. The rest of the interior is in great shape, it is pretty clean, there are no cracks on the dashboard, and the carpet is not noticeably worn. There are a couple of stains on the seats, but nothing ghastly.

The car has the 2,0-liter inline 4-cylinder 3S-FE engine with DOHC (16 valves) and electronic fuel injection. It is equipped with an EGR, but as far as I understand, as long as the EGR functions, it is not illegal to have it in Europe, and this one functions just fine. It is also equipped with a catalytic converter, pre-cat and oxygen sensor, and this triple-action setup is compatible with both US and European emissions laws. Because of the slightly higher compression, it will be no problem, in my opinion, to run the car on regular 95, but in the states you will have to use premium (I think it is 91 in the US). It is front wheel drive with a 5-speed manual transmission. The CV axles and boots are in excellent condition, and I just put on new brake pads in the front before I left, so they probably have less than 100 miles on them. The odometer reads 134000 miles (215 000 km) but since the motor is from a junkyard, I can’t say what mileage it has on it. But it seems to be running really well, so I can’t imagine that it has too much. It has 13” aluminium wheels and a full-size spare, although if I recall correctly the spare has a puncture. The tires are not excessively worn, but they are very bad tires, at least I don’t like them, and I would recommend buying four new tires.

If you would like to see the car or take it for a spin, or if you would like my sister to send you some pictures of it, please let me know by e-mail ([email protected]) or by telephone ( 011 358 40 873 0133 ). Remember that calling Finland is pretty expensive, you should try to use the 10-10-987 service first, because it is only 35 cents to connect and 3 cents per minute after that, but is not available in all areas.</font>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts