Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Hey I just got my 1992 Celica last week and the paint felt like it had never been waxed(the car has been garaged the whole 11 years). The paint was really rough but it looked glossy though. I bought *Maguiar's Cleaners Wax and waxed it 3 different times. The paint is much smoother but not as smooth as it should be, it still looks incredibly glossy though. I was wondering if anyone here knows what wax is the best for protection from moisture but esp. from the sun and heat. We live in California so we get lots of rain and snow but really hot summer days. I want to extend the life of my paint and need the best wax there is. I've heard a straight Carnuba Wax is best, but with so many waxes out there I'm not so sure. HELP!!</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>I use Meguiars too.  You may want to use a wax stripper/paint cleaner (I think Meguiars makes one) just this once... otherwise it's not a good idea... and clean off all the crap on there that might be what's making the paint rough, then use a polish if there are any tiny scratches that might be marring your surface, THEN do the waxing, and since you have stripped it, do it a few times one right after the other to build up a good coat of it.  The more the better!, just make sure you do it right.  I did the stripper, polish and wax once and it took me a whole day but my car was SOOOOO shiny and smooth!  
If I was doing it on your car I'd do the wax 3 or 4 days in a row or within a day of each application.  Meguiars is the best, so you don't have to worry about the weather there.  Carnauba is really good too but it's hard to apply and clean right, but you may want to do it the first time after you strip and polish, then do Meguiars, something with a high amount of Carnauba.  I don't remember what kind I used, if I find out I'll let you know.  You can also go to an auto shop, like Auto Zone, in your area and have them take a look at it and see what they reccommend.  Even a body shop could probably tell you what's up...  Good luck and let us know what you do and how it goes!  :grin:</font>

·
Registered
102 Posts
<font color='#000000'>You may be looking at using a polish.  A buffer at around 1700 rpm and your favourite car polish (supposedly some diluted turtle wax in the red can works awesome!).  THis shined up my celica (seemed like it hadn't been washed in it's lifetime). I wish i took some before and after shots becaause it's truly amazing!</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>Ian thanks for posting!!! I knew it wasn't a filler, it was a polish I used, seeing you write it made me realize what I wrote wrong... I fixed it now.  Good going

I did it without a buffer and it was still a big difference!  I buffer would have made it look showroom again! God.... I'll have to look into renting one next time...  ;)</font>

·
Registered
102 Posts
<font color='#000000'>yeah man!  I dont think they'd be very expensive at all, and plus, they're really easy to use.  Just be sure to smear the polish before you get the buffer going
</font>

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Originally posted by Meryem13@June 17 2003,11:08
<font color='#000000'>
mister know it all</font>
<font color='#990000'>Actually..Mister is the term for a married or elder man..Consider I'm not either the correct term is master..Now if you wouldn't mind I would like to be addresed as Master Frost..Thanks

</font>

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
<font color='#000000'>5th gen's have a pretty bad problem with fading paint.  I wax mine every month with Meguiars, and it looks good for about a week.  Then its back to faded red.  But I park it in the sun at work and its not garaged, so thats a big problem.
Like meryem said, use a stripper first and it will get rid of most of the scratches in the old wax and the dirt too.  Then put some new wax on.  Make sure you do it in the shade too.</font>

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I perfer hot wax on bare skin myself.  :p</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>Frosty: I don't think so....
o:

Stick: Yeah, the shade is important, I do mine in the garage or towards the evening after the sun is behind the trees...  Washing too, or else you get water spots... yucky.

Redswan: ooh!  ;)</font>

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Originally posted by Meryem13@June 18 2003,2:11
<font color='#000000'>Frosty: I don't think so....
o:</font>
<font color='#990000'>Aww cmon..Someone told me kinky was your middle name!
</font>

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
<font color='#000000'>anything  you want mistress
</font>

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
<font color='#000000'>well...except the white car
</font>

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Originally posted by Meryem13@June 19 2003,8:49
<font color='#000000'>Ohhhhhh! Master THAT way... I thought you meant something different... Though I want my turn to be Mistress  
 :laugh:  
</font>
<font color='#990000'>Yess...Muahah *Pulls out whip*</font>

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
<font color='#000000'>alright that is just sick.
i sure hope you arent talking to me?
???</font>

·
Registered
319 Posts
<font color='#810541'>my paint hasnt faded away but is getting scratched away.. everyone and their mom likes to hit my car.. i was waxing it and i found two bumps on my trunk and i was like what the hell and i got pissed off and i kicked my moms van but yeah use the wax as you dry spray.... its awesome.. u just wash your car and when u start to dry it spray this and dry and it comes out looking new</font>

1 - 20 of 30 Posts