Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Celica GT 5 spd
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 91 Celica GT with pretty bad wheels, 14in steelies. I've been thinking about getting a larger wheel diameter so I can reduce highway RPM's and so it looks a bit better. Im sitting at a bit over 3k rpm at 65-70mph. I've been thinking either 15in or 16in rims, I don't really want anything larger than that becuase of price and I want some sidewall. I want them to have a larger diameter than stock, and yes I know my speedo will be off.

I'm thinking 215/60/R16 or 215/65/R15. Has anyone done anything similar? I am asking in the forums just in case anyone knows what will fit and what wont for wheels and if it will actaully make any difference to the highway rpm's.

I've been using 1010 tires sizing charts, here is a list I made, 185-65R14 vs 215-65R15 vs 215-70R15 vs 215-60R16 vs 215-65R16 - Tire and Wheel Plus Sizing | Tire Size Calculator

·
Registered
12 Posts
It should? I mean geometry ( C=2π(r) ) says that if you go from a 24 inch tire to a 26 inch tire you’re looking at a vs 81.6” vs 75.39” circumference. So, what, like maybe an 8% drop? So like instead of 3000 at 65-70 you might see 2750? You’ll have a bit less perceived pep off the line because physics. Your drivetrain will have to fight the larger tire.

I have 205/50r16s on my 92. I think I still have some room but not much. I thought about 215/50r16s but chose to play it safe. Being low on worn out shocks and struts might be a factor and once I get those replaced I might be lamenting my choice looking at ample room...

Generally upsizing the wheel beyond spec is advised against from what I’ve come across in my readings. Maybe someone with direct experience could educate us.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota Celica GT 5 spd
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply,
Do you think it is still good for the car to constantly be at the high rpm all the time? I've been looking at rims for a while now and I might just go with 205/55/r15, i'll try to avoid anything wider than 205's. Any opinions on Volk Racing TE37 Gravel - 15" rims the only downside is the price of these though. Or does anyone else have any suggestions for rims?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the reply,
Do you think it is still good for the car to constantly be at the high rpm all the time? I've been looking at rims for a while now and I might just go with 205/55/r15, i'll try to avoid anything wider than 205's. Any opinions on Volk Racing TE37 Gravel - 15" rims the only downside is the price of these though. Or does anyone else have any suggestions for rims?
My tach reads 2700 at 65mph in a 92 GT-Four (AllTrac). The difference might be from gearing.

Those Volks look very nice. I have a set of 5-spoke OZ Cronos on mine in grey. If you do a search for 5x100 wheels you can find all kinda options. Wheels are very much an individual taste thing. I prefer a grey color. Some people love white, others black, others whatever.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts