Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm brand new here. I tried poking around the forums to see what the rules were or if anything like this had been posted. Sorry if this is annoying.

I've been looking at getting a sixth generation Celica for about a year now, but could never find any great deals. I have just stumbled upon a manual '97 GT convertible with 175,000 miles for $1,800. Only problems are a leaky top on the passenger side when it rains and some bad clearcoat. I haven't test driven it yet, so maybe it would be a bust, but I'm wondering what you guys think of that price with that mileage. If I'm not mistaken, this is basically a glorified Camry so one would hope that it had many hundreds of thousands of miles left to run. Does anyone here have higher mileage on theirs? And, what are some common problems/failure points on these cars?

Again, sorry if this has all been asked before and I just didn't look hard enough.

·
Registered
299 Posts
IMHO I think that's a fair price for a running, driving Celica. I have 268000 on my '91 and had to do some maintenance over the past winter, replacing mostly engine components.
Do the test drive for sure. Check for engine noises, stumbling, acceleration, brakes, lights, A/C, steering, Let it idle for at least 15 minutes to make sure nothing is going to heat up and fail. All the things that would cost you $$$$ to repair and then negotiate. A roof leak would not prevent me from buying but it's something to mention when you make an offer. If you can get the seller down a few hundred bucks, all the better.
Good Luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts