Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1990 TOYOTA CELICA 2.2L L4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to find exhaust parts (from manifold back) for a 1990 CELICA ST 1.6 L (not CA) , and while I can find parts such as a Muffler, Cat, Clamp, Sensor and gaskets, all the pipes, except for the exhaust spout for ST seem nowhere to be found -despite much, much searching, at least for the ST. And for maybe under $500 dollars (I am helping a rather poor Christian brother).

Thus the main question is what parts that fit other vehicles may be compatible with this ST? Also, what is not legally required (Cat, resonator?). Could flex pipe be used?

Below are (too many) images for 1990 CELICA ST 1.6 at EXHAUST PIPE. 1990 toyota Celica | Toyota, plus for a 91 Celica GT
Parknest

Font Parallel Diagram Pattern Slope

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/8I5zHeNV4QI/maxresdefault.jpg
Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Body jewelry Font

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
The cats are interchangeable with other 5th gen celicas

The std setup (non Ca) is
  • exhaust manifold (and gasket)
  • cat with 2 crush gaskets. Oem cat was mounted to block while aftermarket just hang on the EM. O2 sensor mounted just past the honeycomb
  • solid pipe attached to rear of block.
  • flex joint
  • pipe,resonator,pipe,muffler, tail all hung from unibody.

The flex pipe allows separate vibration of engine and car body.

If you have to run a cat, then either aftermarket oem style, or cheaper universal mounted under car. If running a universal, you'll need to move the o2 bung hole to the pipe after the cat.

These are old cars with very little actual toyota parts available. You likely will have to go to an exhaust shop and have them make custom system from the cat back.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
Most reputable exhaust garages will actually make a pipe for you and install. They have all the equip, benders etc. I find it always best to keep local if possible. I even bring donuts to the guy who works on my '91 :rolleyes: Never hurts to polish the apple once in a while

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The cats are interchangeable with other 5th gen celicas

The std setup (non Ca) is
  • exhaust manifold (and gasket)
  • cat with 2 crush gaskets. Oem cat was mounted to block while aftermarket just hang on the EM. O2 sensor mounted just past the honeycomb
  • solid pipe attached to rear of block.
  • flex joint
  • pipe,resonator,pipe,muffler, tail all hung from unibody.

The flex pipe allows separate vibration of engine and car body.

If you have to run a cat, then either aftermarket oem style, or cheaper universal mounted under car. If running a universal, you'll need to move the o2 bung hole to the pipe after the cat.

These are old cars with very little actual toyota parts available. You likely will have to go to an exhaust shop and have them make custom system from the cat back.

Thanks so much, esp. re the cat since it is likely illegal in my state to remove the cat without replacing it. But I wonder if flex pipe could b used to replace all the exhaust pipes after the cat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Most reputable exhaust garages will actually make a pipe for you and install. They have all the equip, benders etc. I find it always best to keep local if possible. I even bring donuts to the guy who works on my '91 :rolleyes: Never hurts to polish the apple once in a while
Yes, though I think apples would be better for keeping the mechanic for more years!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thanks so much, esp. re the cat since it is likely illegal in my state to remove the cat without replacing it. But I wonder if flex pipe could b used to replace all the exhaust pipes after the cat.
Oops, the O2 bunghole is in front of the cat (got my car/generations mixed up)

Flex pipe is a thin wall pipe that is susceptible to dings and holes from rocks. You should use hard pipe everywhere except at the engine to body pipe connections

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oops, the O2 bunghole is in front of the cat (got my car/generations mixed up)

Flex pipe is a thin wall pipe that is susceptible to dings and holes from rocks. You should use hard pipe everywhere except at the engine to body pipe connections

Thanks. I will pass this on. But does anyone know what exhaust parts for other models may fit this one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts