Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000080'>Is it good if a vacuum really sucks?

Why is the third hand on the watch called the second hand?

If a word is misspelled in the dictionary, how would we ever know?

If Webster wrote the first dictionary, where did he find the words?

Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?

Why do "slow down" and "slow up" mean the same thing?

Why do "fat chance" and "slim chance" mean the same thing?

Why do 'tug' boats push their barges?

Why do we sing "Take me out to the ball game" when we are already there?

Why are they called "stands" when they are made for sitting?

Why is it called "after dark" when it really is "after light" ?

Doesn't 'expecting the unexpected" make the unexpected expected?

Why are a 'wise man' and a 'wise guy' opposites?

Why do 'overlook' and 'oversee' mean opposite things?

Why is phonics not spelled the way it sounds?

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay you to do it?

If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

If you are cross-eyed and have dyslexia, can you read all right?

Why is bra singular and panties plural?

Why do you press harder on the buttons of a remote control when you know the batteries are dead?

Why do we put suits in garment bags and garments in a suitcase?

How come abbreviated is such a long word?

Why do we wash bath towels? Aren't we clean when we use them?

Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Why do 24/7 stores like 7-11 have locks on their doors?

o:  :suspect:  :thumbsup:</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Originally posted by Celica Chick@April 09 2003,8:47
<font color='#000000'>Ok, you have way too much time on your hands, you and TicketBoy both  
</font>
<font color='#000000'>nah nah, way too much time is when somebody actually answers the questions.</font>

G

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Okay, I chose my favorite questions and answered them for you:

Is it good if a vacuum really sucks?  They don't, they depressurize.

Why is the third hand on the watch called the second hand? Second has two meanings!

If Webster wrote the first dictionary, where did he find the words? He didn't, Samuel Johnson did. He found the words throughout society and included political affiliate terms.

Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack?
A figure of speech.

Why do "slow down" and "slow up" mean the same thing?
Who says slow up?  

Why are a 'wise man' and a 'wise guy' opposites? Consider the more appropriate term for the definition, a man is a more respectful reference than guy, thus giving 'Wise Man' the more positive definition: smart. 'Guy' is a bit less formal and can be the lower end: wise guy isn't so smart.

Why is phonics not spelled the way it sounds? Since when do any words apply the definition to itself?

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay you to do it?
Economics my friend!

If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
FIGURE OF SPEECH!

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?
Wow, I hope you didn't write these.

If you are cross-eyed and have dyslexia, can you read all right?
Think about it while considering we read from left to right, then ask yourself this question again.

Why is bra singular and panties plural?
I don't know, but I had fun imagining the situation!

Why do you press harder on the buttons of a remote control when you know the batteries are dead?   Pressing harder actually increases the efficiency of a circuit on a remote, the pressure sensitive rubber sends a better signal when pressed harder it when lacking battery life.

How come abbreviated is such a long word?
See the phonics question.

Why do we wash bath towels? Aren't we clean when we use them? Not necessarily, think about where you dry.

Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?
Probably from having a some-what air tight cap.  No constant airflow greatly decreases dry time as oppose to expelling it on to paper when the air dries it almost immediately.

Why do 24/7 stores like 7-11 have locks on their doors?  
Well, why manufacture completely different doors just for a thrift store?

Finally, a few of my own:

Why do cars transport shipment while ships transport cargo?

Why do the words 'caretaker' and 'caregiver' mean the same thing?

If you want plenty more of these go to Bored.com and find the link for it in the list.  I was bored so I decided to answer these regardless of the fact no one will even read it! Haha, thanks for relieving me of boredness for a few mintues.</font>

G

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>
Originally posted by stspiffy+April 09 2003,9:40-->QUOTE (stspiffy @ April 09 2003,9:40)
<!--QuoteBegin-Celica Chick
@April 09 2003,8:47
Ok, you have way too much time on your hands, you and TicketBoy both  
nah nah, way too much time is when somebody actually answers the questions.[/B]
Haha, I swear I didn't even read this before my last post. How weird.

Even weirder, I just read it and realised one of his answers was the same as one of mine.  Some of his were a bit more clever while mine were a bit more literal, and I would agree these questions are absolutely stupid but fun to criticise.</font>

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font color='#000080'>Why do cars transport shipment while ships transport cargo?
= Cargo is usually referred to as larger things, in bulk necessities, therefore, a car could not carry such quantity.=

Why do the words 'caretaker' and 'caregiver' mean the same thing?

=You're "taking care" of someone, hence care taker. You're "giving care" to someone, hence caregiver.=</font>

G

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>The question still remains. Taking and Giving care.  Maybe it's a whole process of give and take of care.  But who is said to be cared for if there is some weird cycle of giving and taking care. The plot thickens...

By the way, don't argue with a smart mouthed 17 year old with nothing to do before bed time  :O</font>

G

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Frosty66@April 09 2003,9:56
<font color='#000000'>Why do cars transport shipment while ships transport cargo?
= Cargo is usually referred to as larger things, in bulk necessities, therefore, a car could not carry such quantity.=</font>
<font color='#000000'>By the way, incorrect comma, usage ruins proper, clause usage in your, post. Tee, hee.

Cargo is referred to as larger things? Do you know what subject verb agreement are? Tee hee x2.

Cargo and Shipment though, as the question suggested, do not seem to go with the transportation item.  Common sense would bring one to believe cargo would travel in a car and the same with shipment.  But hey, common sense would bring one to question a LOT of interesting mishaps in our wonderful English language.  Take Spanish for instance! Heck it almost never makes sense!

No tengo nada! 'I don't have nothing' is what it literally would translate to brought upon the rules of the language, but the sentence suggests not having anything. Not having nothing means you have something, while not having anything means you have nothing.  Ah, enough of all this nonsense, I'm going to bed.</font>

·
Registered
120 Posts
<font color='#FF0000'>??? ...check please :suspect:
save this topic ticket boy!!!!!!!!     it is starting to sound to intelectual :sleepy: ...must... :sleepy: stay... :sleepy: ...awake!!!!!!</font>

·
Registered
156 Posts
<font color='#000080'>Hey GottaLuvGTS, relax man, you talk too much.  Don't be so critical about everything, and stop answering questions that aren't supposed to be answered... :glare: Sorry, I have to be critical about one thing... STOP SAYING "a bit ___" ! ???</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Originally posted by zex_epyon@April 09 2003,10:55
<font color='#000000'>??? ...check please :suspect:
save this topic ticket boy!!!!!!!!     it is starting to sound to intelectual :sleepy: ...must... :sleepy: stay... :sleepy: ...awake!!!!!!</font>
<font color='#000000'>i just took a piss and it felt SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good</font>

G

·
0 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Oh do I say 'a bit ..." a bit too much?  It's redudance shows some inconfidence, yikes.  I didn't realise how many times I used it.  I think it's because of how uncomfortable or awkward it is to talk about such pointless topics.  I was just extremely bored last night and wasn't tired enough for bed.  Ok, I think this topic is in need of being buried.

DIG!

BURY ME!

Hey Stspiffy, was one of those pisses where you feel like you haven't pissed in 6 days.  I love those.  I like it when you kind of linger over the bowl with your hand against the wall for about two minutes followed by that unexpected chill of absolute blissful relief. Oh and... wash your hands.</font>

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<font color='#000080'>Yea GTS..You need to tone it down a bit. Any of us could talk intellectual if we wanted to..it's just so pointless here..</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Originally posted by GottaLuvGTS@April 10 2003,2:16
<font color='#000000'>Hey Stspiffy, was one of those pisses where you feel like you haven't pissed in 6 days.  I love those.  I like it when you kind of linger over the bowl with your hand against the wall for about two minutes followed by that unexpected chill of absolute blissful relief. Oh and... wash your hands.</font>
<font color='#000000'>straight up, though i've never managed to pee for a full two minutes...  i think i got it to a minute and ten seconds once...  it was a bit long for me  
</font>

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Originally posted by Frosty66@April 10 2003,3:05
<font color='#000000'>Yea GTS..You need to tone it down a bit. Any of us could talk intellectual if we wanted to..it's just so pointless here..</font>
<font color='#000000'>I have to agree, I surf this site to take a break from my day at work  :p  I try not to think too much on here  :cool:</font>

1 - 20 of 28 Posts