Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#810541'>Okay most people dont know it but toyota invented vvti which is "vtec" and it was made a long time ago.. what im trying to dig up is the article that says it.. my friend told me, and i believe him because toyota has designed a lot for cars these days including the double overhead cam which most people dont know as well so if ANYONE has an article that says when vvti was made can u please post, its kind of hard for me to find because toyota really didnt publicize it like honda does u know, by slapping dohc vtec all over there cars.. and i think toyota knew what would happen if they did cuz honda did it and look at them</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
<font color='#000000'>why you need an article?  proof's all over the place, toyota's the only one that calls variable valve timing "vvti"  :)</font>

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font color='#810541'>okay well heres the story... i was at school and i asked my friend if he wanted to buy my celica.. and he was like no i stay with honda only and i was like your a wuss and he asked me what are you planning on buying and i said 240sx fastback and that i would put a sr20det engine in there and he said just get a honda with double overhead cam vtec and i was like **** that.. hondas are no good so then i was like u know toyota invented vvtl-i like way back and that honda copied them and puts it everywhere to show off, and then i told him toyota invented DOHC too and he was like no way your lying and crap like that so then i said i would prove it and i remember that i found an article about the double overhead cam part but not the vvtl-i but i know toyota mustve invented it. toyota is the best but the reason im going for the 240 is because i want to drift.. i love drifting its 10 times better then anything that ive ever done so thats why im going for that..(RWD) hhehee and the supra isnt made for drifting.. too much torque well thanks</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
<font color='#000000'>wow....  i wasn't aware toyota invented dohc...

variable valve timing has been around for a while though, i don't think you can credit toyota in particular for the invention, although vvti did come before vtec</font>

·
Registered
563 Posts
<font color='#000000'>i think youll find you are wrong on both accounts...

DOHC dates back to alfa romero in the 1930's so no cigar there.

variable valve timing has filtered down from the F1 programs i believe youll find honda were the first to implement the system in road production car.... 1989  NSX ? followed by 1990-91 CRX

in the last few years everyone has bolted their own flavour of variable valve timing. but DOHC is definantly not a toyota first and i am very confident in saying that variable valve timing was first implremented by honda.

VVTI is stricktley toyota just live VarioCam is exclusive to porsche. it is just their own flavour of variable valve timing system. but i think youll find the VTEC by honda was the first in a road car and im pretty comfrotable in saying the first/very early system at all.

w/ vvt filtering down from F1 bring on pneumatic valve timing i say
bye bye cam shafts.</font>

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I'd like to sound really smart here but I can't seem to remember what VVT-i was called in 6th gen celicas.  Anyone?  It had a different name, I just couldn't find the article anywhere.</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts