Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>yo wassup guys its me again.......um i have a 96 st and i was wondering if its possible to turbocharge that motor,i mean theirs room but i just dunno!?? well ne thing ya'll have to say is great so just stop by and send those answers in,thanks!!!</font>

·
Registered
563 Posts
<font color='#000000'>you *can* but your better off doing a swap for a 3sgte its prety much a bolt up job and youll get heaps better power and reliability. have a look at one of the *numerous* 3sgte swap threads.</font>

G

·
<font color='#000000'>Ill answer this question for you easily...

Yes, you can turbo. However, the 6th gen ST tranny can only hold 200hp before it blows up. You can fix this by getting better gearing and strengthen the parts however it will be expensive.

Now for the fun part... The 3sgte swap

Its going to cost you around 5 grand if you are going to have someone do it for you.

Your going to need alot of parts:
3rd gen 3sgte
mr2 turbo tranny with lsd
new axles
stand alone management system, i suggest haltec
with an ST you need to reweld your engine mounts, only gt will directy bolt in.
front mount intercooler (unless u get gt4 hood)
^custom piping^
exhaust pipes (custom to mount up)
guages-----air/fuel, boost, turbo timer and what not

well its up to you, your choice both are expensive ways to go.</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>well he wouldnt need a 3rd gen 3sgte.
he could always try to push a 5sfe tranny (not saying it would last tho)
haltechs are good, but i can get other ems that cost a lot less and have some haltech owners swithcing to them
only gauges that are really nessasary is the boost. the ems would take care of the air fuel.
with all that said I think u could get the swap done for around 3-4k
or you could buy a st 205 clip but thats gonna be around the same price range. but without the ems. I would go for the ems
BUT that wasnt the question the question was turboing a st engine.
yeah it could be done, but would cost much more then u think. the transmition isnt the biggest problem cause with out the fuel you will never hit 200hp ull melt the pistons before you see that. in order to create power you need fuel in your set up the only way to do that is to put bigger injectors in, but the car wont run with bigger injectors using the stock computer so you would have to replace that as well or put a piggy back in there. once you have the fuel worked out you have to worry about the stock ignition map. it advances to much for boost and will cause spark knock. so then you have to worry about turning the map down, again u cant do that will a stock computer. so a ems is needed. You also would need a intercooler, all the piping, boost gauge, boost controller, bov, wastegate, custom exhast manifold, new exhast ect... when its all done and over with and u got the engine working properly, then u have to worry about the tranny and clutch.. when its all done and over with ur looking at a lot of money for a engine that is gonna peak what 250hp???
thats the reason we are all talking about the swap cause its just not worth the cost to turbo a 7afe</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts