Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>Hi guys, I have a 4afe engine and I've done nearly all I can do to squeeze hp from it( header, cold air intake, fuel injection...etc), it's a lot better than stock now, but I'm still tempted by the taste of a turbo. I know 3sgte is the greatest choice after all, but I really can't afford the 3-4 grands. I've only seen 1 turbo kit that made for this engine and it cost more than the 3sgte swap, so that's not an option too. However, when I surf thru websites about turbo, I saw some civic and eclipse that have turbo on them which is not meant for that particular engine but people can buy a turbo(for under $1000) and buy other parts and then fit it to the engine. I'm wondering can I do the same too? If yes what kind of after market turbo I need and what parts I need to get?
btw, any1 know where I can get some drilled brake disc for my 92 st for a good price, there's only a few choice out there and they're all very expensive, like around $100 for one disc.
any idea about the turbo or other mod. is really appreciate.</font>

·
Registered
85 Posts
<font color='#000080'>I don't know much about the 4afe, but I'm pretty sure a T28 would probably do the job, they're pretty cheap, but they're small, but very reliable. If not maybe a C18 out of a Saab 900 that could be an even cheaper option. But i not sure what your engine will handle, but which ever way you choose to go, IMO i would save for the 3s-gte, it'll be a safer option and probably cheaper in the long run.
If you want to turbo the 4afe remember your going to pay at least $1000 for the turbo, then you have to think about everything else like management, cooling, etc. up to about $3000 all up</font>

·
Registered
57 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hey how much did that header for your 4afe run and where did u order it from ? ive got a 90 st myself and been wanting to sqeeze as much power as i can outta one but im wanting as close as i can get to 200 hp on it lol
i have seen custom manifolds for sale though for 4afe engines for sale before and those have run about 150 bucks and up depending on where u get it and the quality of one. other than that i havent heard much on the amount of boost u can put into that thing
. Another possibility ive been looking into is rebuilding my 4afe into a 4age since the heads wont cost that much depending on where u go and you'll get a decent amount of power out of it which ontop of that u could additionally turbo the 4age then
</font>

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font color='#000000'>Do I really need up to $3000 for all other parts and managemnet for the turbo?? Wow that would be too crazy. Any way, are you guys sure that a T28 may fit?
And btw, I get the header from a local modification shop, so I'm not sure where they get it. The idea about rebuilding 4afe to 4age sounds good, can any1 give me more info. on the rebuild (like parts i need, difficulty, steps....) and how much would that be??</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts