Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1994 celica gt manual and currently have 252k miles. im thinking of putting a turbo in it but i also don't have any clue on how to do so. my car needs a lot of work and i was thinking of taking the engine out and clean the bay and upgrade things here and there. since im going to take the motor out, i was thinking of swapping the motor to a low miles or get a better motor that makes more power or just keep the same motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
or get a better motor that makes more power or just keep the same motor. [/QUOTE said:
In my opinion it depends how much u want to spend. Im in a similar situation with my 5sfe and am just considering pulling it out to clean it up and put it back in. if u can get ur hands on a 3sgte head it would be benificial to swap it but other than that a turbo 5sfe will be ur cheapest option with good return if done properly

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have a 1994 celica gt manual and currently have 252k miles. im thinking of putting a turbo in it but i also don't have any clue on how to do so. my car needs a lot of work and i was thinking of taking the engine out and clean the bay and upgrade things here and there. since im going to take the motor out, i was thinking of swapping the motor to a low miles or get a better motor that makes more power or just keep the same motor.

Its all up to budget. You're looking at a little over $5000 to put a 3S-GTE in it or about $2500-$3000 to do a 5S-FTE. these are both with YOU doing labor. 5S-FTE can be had for like $5000 if you pay a shop (much easier work than pulling out and dropping in a new engine) or a 3S-GTE for $8-10,000

There are plenty of write ups if you choose to go 5S-FTE route but know its a painfully annoying road with lots of work, lots of problems, and requires a deep pocket. If you want much better power on a budget, Spend $5k and put a Chevy 350 in it and convert to rwd. If you just want to enjoy the Celica, spend $2000 on suspension parts as a new suspension can completely change the car.

If maintained these motors go well over 250k (Best I've seen was 500k on one on a forum) but if you're determined to pull it, throw in a new 5S-FE for under $1000.

Theres a guy who made a really powerful one that he ran for years here

scooterman | MR2 Owners Club Forum (mr2oc.com)

I included a link to a part compile / write up for the 5S-FTE. Good luck and keep us updated!

The Big 5SFTE Post - Toyota Celica Guides - Toyota Owners Club - Australia

·
Registered
11 Posts
Now if you want to get real weird, bear with me for a second: 5S-FZE! Supercharge the 5S for half the cost of a turbo. All of the parts run you a little over $1,500 if you can settle for some interesting chinese brands and it should make for a fun car. Custom brackets will need made but thats a small price to pay for 6 pounds of boost.

Heres a list to products i speced out at about $1500

- FMIC - $165
Necessary! The 5S is prone to detonation

Mishimoto MMINT-UZB Mishimoto Z-Line Intercoolers | Summit Racing

- Aisin SC14 S/C - $400
Clearly necessary, Could use an AMR500 however it pushes such little boost that you would likely lose power or gain none at all.

Toyota SC14 Supercharger MR2 Mk1 AW11 AE86 AE92 | eBay

- Blow Off Valve - $40
Needed to relieve boost when idle and function as a bypass valve (or just turn the switch off since the SC14 has a clutch pulley)

Universal Type-S Adjustable PSI Blue Blow Off Valve Turbo + 2.5" Adapter Pipe | eBay

- Boost Gauge - $50
You get what you pay for. go super cheap and you risk inaccuracy

Turbosmart Boost Gauge 0-30psi 52mm 2 1/16" Black Face Silver Bezel TS-0101-2023 | eBay

- Oil (For the SC) - $10
Holds i belive 150ml but please check for yourself
Valvoline High Performance 75W90 Gear Oil/Limited Slip 1 Quart (autozone.com)

- Spark plugs - $30
These plugs are 2 units colder on the heat range, to once again prevent detonation

NGK.com: BKR7EIX-11 $7.86 NGK 6988 Iridium Spark Plug - Best Car SparkPlug Replacement

- Injectors - $50-100
Use the RX-7 460CC injectors or the N/A Supra Lime top injectors

Mazda RX-7 S5 460cc High Impedance Injectors | eBay

1989-1992 TOYOTA CRESSIDA SUPRA 3.0L V6 23250-70080 SET OF 6 DENSO FUEL INJECTOR | eBay

- Piping kit - $100
Cheapest I found was $100 but custom piping works too. Will take some 'adjusting' to fit

Auto Universal Turbo 2.5" Inch Aluminum Intercooler 12Pcs Piping Kit Black/Red | eBay

- 3S-GTE MAP Sensor - $100
Needed so your ecu doesnt have a stroke when MAP reads higher than 0psi

89421-21010 079800-4310 MAP Sensor Turbo Pressure Sensor For Caldina GT-T 3SGTE | eBay

- Fuel Pump - $100
Needed to support the bigger injectors

Walbro GSS342 Fuel Pump - 255LPH High Pressure Fuel Pump (walbrofuelpumps.com)

OPTIONAL

- Megasquirt Standalone
Diy Standalone ECU kit, best budget option for tuning

DIYPNP Nippon Denso 76pin Unassembled Kit (diyautotune.com)

- Emanage
If you dont want a new ecu, try a piggyback. (Piggybacks are known to struggle with the 5S, emanage is the best ive seen, use at own risk)

GREDDY EMANAGE BLUE w/ harness e-manage ecu box computer piggyback ecm safc emb | eBay

Ive been told you need an msd btm as well but i dont know if they make an ignition system that ties into the 5SFE

MSD Ignition 8762 MSD Boost Timing Master Ignitions | Summit Racing

MSD Ignition 85551 MSD Pro-Billet Distributors | Summit Racing

·
Registered
1 Posts
Now if you want to get real weird, bear with me for a second: 5S-FZE! Supercharge the 5S for half the cost of a turbo. All of the parts run you a little over $1,500 if you can settle for some interesting chinese brands and it should make for a fun car. Custom brackets will need made but thats a small price to pay for 6 pounds of boost.

Heres a list to products i speced out at about $1500

- FMIC - $165
Necessary! The 5S is prone to detonation

Mishimoto MMINT-UZB Mishimoto Z-Line Intercoolers | Summit Racing

- Aisin SC14 S/C - $400
Clearly necessary, Could use an AMR500 however it pushes such little boost that you would likely lose power or gain none at all.

Toyota SC14 Supercharger MR2 Mk1 AW11 AE86 AE92 | eBay

- Blow Off Valve - $40
Needed to relieve boost when idle and function as a bypass valve (or just turn the switch off since the SC14 has a clutch pulley)

Universal Type-S Adjustable PSI Blue Blow Off Valve Turbo + 2.5" Adapter Pipe | eBay

- Boost Gauge - $50
You get what you pay for. go super cheap and you risk inaccuracy

Turbosmart Boost Gauge 0-30psi 52mm 2 1/16" Black Face Silver Bezel TS-0101-2023 | eBay

- Oil (For the SC) - $10
Holds i belive 150ml but please check for yourself
Valvoline High Performance 75W90 Gear Oil/Limited Slip 1 Quart (autozone.com)

- Spark plugs - $30
These plugs are 2 units colder on the heat range, to once again prevent detonation

NGK.com: BKR7EIX-11 $7.86 NGK 6988 Iridium Spark Plug - Best Car SparkPlug Replacement

- Injectors - $50-100
Use the RX-7 460CC injectors or the N/A Supra Lime top injectors

Mazda RX-7 S5 460cc High Impedance Injectors | eBay

1989-1992 TOYOTA CRESSIDA SUPRA 3.0L V6 23250-70080 SET OF 6 DENSO FUEL INJECTOR | eBay

- Piping kit - $100
Cheapest I found was $100 but custom piping works too. Will take some 'adjusting' to fit

Auto Universal Turbo 2.5" Inch Aluminum Intercooler 12Pcs Piping Kit Black/Red | eBay

- 3S-GTE MAP Sensor - $100
Needed so your ecu doesnt have a stroke when MAP reads higher than 0psi

89421-21010 079800-4310 MAP Sensor Turbo Pressure Sensor For Caldina GT-T 3SGTE | eBay

- Fuel Pump - $100
Needed to support the bigger injectors

Walbro GSS342 Fuel Pump - 255LPH High Pressure Fuel Pump (walbrofuelpumps.com)

OPTIONAL

- Megasquirt Standalone
Diy Standalone ECU kit, best budget option for tuning

DIYPNP Nippon Denso 76pin Unassembled Kit (diyautotune.com)

- Emanage
If you dont want a new ecu, try a piggyback. (Piggybacks are known to struggle with the 5S, emanage is the best ive seen, use at own risk)

GREDDY EMANAGE BLUE w/ harness e-manage ecu box computer piggyback ecm safc emb | eBay

Ive been told you need an msd btm as well but i dont know if they make an ignition system that ties into the 5SFE

MSD Ignition 8762 MSD Boost Timing Master Ignitions | Summit Racing

MSD Ignition 85551 MSD Pro-Billet Distributors | Summit Racing
Honestly considering this with a 5sfe 96 celica GT, I’ve seen someone run this set up on a civic, didn’t require anything but the SC, BOV and some piping, pulley, belt etc… would you need to change EVERYTHING above to get the SC to act correctly? (I.E. the boost timing master, distributor, etc…) I agree with the intercooler no-doubt… supercharging is a little new to me, think if it can be cooled with regulated pressure, it could work… thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a 1999 celica gt, The 5S-FE is a pretty good engine stock. The factory exhaust is pretty restrictive so if you just cut the muffler off right before it goes over the rear control arms (not too loud but sounds very good) and take out most of the interior it can make it a very fun car. BC coilovers, white line sway bars, polly bushing, aftermarket wheels that can take 215/45/17 tires (Yokohama avid sport a/s) and you will have a very fun car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts