Toyota Celica Forum banner

Turbo 5sfe in chicago

2K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  90GTS 
G
#1 ·
<font color='#000000'>hey - I just registered. I've got a '90 GTS (black, 5spd) I'm slowly fixing up (antenna motor, rear rattles, standard stuff). Engine is in great shape despite high mileage (150k), and I'd like to set up a turbo running maybe 5psi. A few questions for the turbo gurus out there: how much HP / TQ will that give me, and will the engine probably take it? also, could I run it without an intercooler?

More importantly, anyone know who could help me out in Chicago? I'm also going to bolt on an intake and try to do some exhaust work; this stuff gets crazy expensive unless you know someone good. thanks all.

the car great looking and handling, but really needs the extra kick of maybe 40hp and torque down low.</font>

G
#2 ·
<font color='#000000'>Are you planning on having a custom turbo and accessories fabricated or looking for one that is actually made for normally aspirated Celicas? The only one out there is made by Burien Toyota. I believe their website is poweredbytoyota.com. If you are planning on having a custom setup then be prepared to spend big bucks. You're almost better off doing a 3SGTE swap.

All turbos put out different amounts of hp/torque. It just depends on how big of a turbo you get and what other mods you have. You can run a turbo without an intercooler, but you won't see very good performance.

I live in Chicago, so I know most of the shops in the area, but none really specialize in Toyotas. They are pretty much Honda shops. Try calling One6 Motorsports in Arlington Heights 847-255-1905. The head guy there is Mark. Tell him I referred you, and maybe he can help you out.

Since you are new and don't know too much feel free to email me with any questions you have. Good luck!</font>

#3 ·
<font color='#000000'>I TURBOCHARGED MY 5SFE I COULD WALK YOU THROUGH IT WHEN YOU ARE READY TO DO IT.</font>

G
#4 ·
<font color='#000000'>thanks for the replies. I've figured out that it'll be cheaper to keep my gts and squeeze more power out of it than try to get anything else, since I've already put some money into it (new brakes, new plugs, wires, valve cover gasket, freeze plug, etc.)

so running a turbo at low boost without an intercooler would get me how much power? I know it would be lower without an intercooler, especially after the engine bay heats up, and I guess I could get a cheap used intercooler off eBay and bolt it up. Basically, I was looking at the Burien kit and it's ridiculously expensive, especially since it doesn't come with the intercooler or any gauges or a timer. Does a turbo just bolt on to the 5SFE with the same engine management? What about fuel delivery? I'm looking to spend 1-2k total, and don't need more than 40-50 hp and a comparable increase in torque - including a new intake and other minor, standard mods. Should I try to put together parts for a turbo piecemeal or just save up for the Burien kit and struggle with it myself, with a custom intercooler job?</font>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.