Toyota Celica Forum banner

Transmission swap

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  sefiro 
#1 ·
Had my '91 GT for two years now with a bad transmission. Today I found out that the previous owner for what ever reason swapped the original trans for another but it wasn't the right one. The VIN did not match. Had trouble with that tranny slipping, shuddering etc since day one. Local shops would not touch a 31 year old "foreign" transmission. The ones that would look at it had prices ranges from $1740 to $2500 with no guarantee. Actually found two boneyard '91 Celica's in my area with "A" rated used transaxles with warranties. Ones that actually match the car.
NOW I need some help. Since I'll be doing the swap in my garage I'll need to raise the front up about 24" to give me room to put a floor jack under the unit. Has anyone done this and how would I get it up that high and where would be the best place to support it?
The shop manual give all the components but will need a step by step procedure on where to start.
Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Jack points for the original jack used a u joint t at the pinch weld seam along the outside edge. Cut a 1" deep, .5" gap in a 4x4 so that it supports the car on either side of the pinch weld. Jack stands underneath.

I've changed out a manual tranny on my gt doing this. You'll need a tranny lift or custom cradle for your jack. You'll also need some muscle as the tranny needs to be rotated a little to separate.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Got my lil' red back today from the tranny swap. Not only did I loose reverse but after driving now I'm finding 4th gear and no shudders. Amazing.Boneyard replacement had 149k and the mechanic said the pan and magnets were reasonably clean with nothing noticeable. Put in new seals, filter screen and gaskets. Keeping the old tranny for parts. Dogone thing weighs a ton and I have to move it around with a chainfall and dolly. At least now I have a valve body, nss, accumulators et al.
Next projects are replacing the power steering seal, Sthe marks her territory wherever parked and checking the fuel pump pressure. Still sputtering at 4200rpm.

#6 ·
Yippee

I'm sitting on 2 extra manual transmissions. Teaching boys how to drive a stick destroyed the synchros. Driving on my 2nd vineyard until I get around to doing a rebuild with upgraded synchros on my original.

#7 ·
You'll get 'er done no doubt.
I learned stick on our farm tractor and then graduated to a '49 Dodge with fluid drive that was really forgiving.
Taught both daughter and sons stick before they had automatic. Their friends were amazed. Back in the 70's.
Rebuilt two manual transmissions for a '37 and '38 Nash Lafayettes but back then boneyards had lots of salvage. Replaced clutches, Flat head sixes needed rebuilds after 40k. So simple, nothing like today's throw away stuff.
Thanks for all the advice.
Car Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

#8 ·
Dad taught me on a 67 Bug. Everywhere I figured out that you could change gears without the clutch.

My rebuild years started with my first car, 1st gen Celica '74. Bought a book, borrowed tools from friends and spent xmas vacation of my junior year in college rebuilding it. Now have 3 celicas, 2 GM Vortecs and 1 Cadillac Northstar engine under my belt.

Lol at the 40k rebuild, 70's engines needed rebuild at 125-150k and now we can go 300k. Although, on my 91gr8, I think everything under the hood has been replaced at least once including the rack. Only timing original are probably the 2 manifolds and the fuel rail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.