Toyota Celica Forum banner

Transmission swap

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  sefiro 
Jack points for the original jack used a u joint t at the pinch weld seam along the outside edge. Cut a 1" deep, .5" gap in a 4x4 so that it supports the car on either side of the pinch weld. Jack stands underneath.

I've changed out a manual tranny on my gt doing this. You'll need a tranny lift or custom cradle for your jack. You'll also need some muscle as the tranny needs to be rotated a little to separate.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Yippee

I'm sitting on 2 extra manual transmissions. Teaching boys how to drive a stick destroyed the synchros. Driving on my 2nd vineyard until I get around to doing a rebuild with upgraded synchros on my original.

Dad taught me on a 67 Bug. Everywhere I figured out that you could change gears without the clutch.

My rebuild years started with my first car, 1st gen Celica '74. Bought a book, borrowed tools from friends and spent xmas vacation of my junior year in college rebuilding it. Now have 3 celicas, 2 GM Vortecs and 1 Cadillac Northstar engine under my belt.

Lol at the 40k rebuild, 70's engines needed rebuild at 125-150k and now we can go 300k. Although, on my 91gr8, I think everything under the hood has been replaced at least once including the rack. Only timing original are probably the 2 manifolds and the fuel rail.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.