Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(1991 Convertible GT/ 5SFE Manual) Hello, just some quick questions, my throwout bearing is going so while I'm under the hood and the trans is off, I wanted to ask if the transmission being very on-off without much play is normal? Sorry if my terminology is incorrect im not sure how to explain it too well, but basically my clutch pedal feels fine but it's kind of on-off. My dad says it's just the nature of the car so Im curious. And my more important question is anyone have reputable head sellers or something they could reccomend? I'm on the east coast and rebuilt my engine about 5k miles ago, but I didn't touch the head and while theres nothing yet, it's planned for the near future due to the age and mileage on this car. Thank you very much!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ah the clutch pedal doesn't need to be pushed down all the way, and the first little bit of pressing it doesnt do much. It's screwed down all the way where its mounted so I know it's not loose there at least. Basically the middle of the clutch pedal is the only part that matters

·
Registered
359 Posts
The clutch hydraulic system is a 2 stage system. Primary valve mounted on the firewall, secondary valve down low just behind the radiator.

When you say "play", does it move freely a 1/2 inch or so before feeling pressure?

The valves have a spring in them that pushes everything back when you take your foot off the clutch. This is backed up by the clutch itself which has a spring feature that holds the clutch to the flywheel. The clutch springiness pushes the throwout bearing away. The bearing is attached to the fork with a wire clip. The bearing slides on the input shaft. The play could come from the bearing catching and not returning, the clutch springiness failing or a broken valve spring.

As for the head, you can take it to a machine shop for rebuilding. $150-300.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The clutch hydraulic system is a 2 stage system. Primary valve mounted on the firewall, secondary valve down low just behind the radiator.

When you say "play", does it move freely a 1/2 inch or so before feeling pressure?

The valves have a spring in them that pushes everything back when you take your foot off the clutch. This is backed up by the clutch itself which has a spring feature that holds the clutch to the flywheel. The clutch springiness pushes the throwout bearing away. The bearing is attached to the fork with a wire clip. The bearing slides on the input shaft. The play could come from the bearing catching and not returning, the clutch springiness failing or a broken valve spring.

As for the head, you can take it to a machine shop for rebuilding. $150-300.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Sorry for the real late reply, and I actually just dropped my transmission cause my dad said there was a noise that sounded like the throwout bearing going bad (sounded like a bearing rattling inside the trans case when the clutch pedal was up). And yeah by play theres a little lack of pressure before it engages

1 - 4 of 4 Posts