Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>I just swapped out my 1990 GT 5sfe for a jdm 3sgte, but now i want to swap the auto for a standard tranny.  I would like to find one that could take the extra horses a little easier, but i don't really think their was ever a FWD 3sgte trans. ever made.  If you have any suggestions or advice please post.

CODY</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>all 3sgte's are awd. get a manual 5sfe tranny if u have the money take it to a tranny shop and have them take a look at it, maybe rebuild it.</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font color='#000000'>speaking of swaps - jhull is it easier / cheaper to go with a 3sgte swap into a 5th gen. GTS or to add a turbo to the 5sfe engine? I just want a little more kick than stock, so I'd probably run no more than 5psi and try to keep the engine as stock as possible. maybe an intake, but could I run it at 5 with no intercooler?

Now I just need suggestions on what exactly I need and someone in Chicago who can help me install.

thanks</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000F22'>when I turboed my 5sfe i dont believe I spent more then 500 on the project but i made my own manifold and did all of the work, I got the piping for free and bent it all myself, I guess it all depends on who does the work and where you get all the materials. but I can tell you that if you do it and try to boost 5psi, ur gonna like it and try to boost more, which isnt a good idea, if u plan to beat it or boost alot i would go with the swap, the 3sgte is made to be boosted unlike the 5sfea plus the redline is much better
</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font color='#000000'>yeah well the car's old and the engine has 150k on it, so I was just thinking of running 5psi or so with either no intercooler or a cheap custom front-mount. I love how the car handles and feels, I just need about 40 more horsepower and some power down low.

I don't need it to be sick fast. That's what my ZX6R is for... 2.9 seconds...  ;)</font>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts