Toyota Celica Forum banner

Torquewind?? cheap supercharger??

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Celica(XIV) 
#1 ·
<font color='#000000'>Hi guys, the thing I'm going to ask about may be in the market for some time already, but I just find out about it recently. It is called torquewind, it's a turbo like tubine which you can install in the intake tube, it claims to deliver 250 CFM and thus can lead to a 40 to 60 hp gain when activated. I'm just wondering how this actually work( if it works at all~). Anyone have heard about it or did any research on it? I really wanted to know, if this cheap and easy install( that's what the webpage say) kit really works, 30hp is good enough for me, then I think I'll go for it instead of the engine swap. Any expert please tell me whether it is tue and safe or not. Thanks!</font>

#3 ·
<font color='#000000'>The link is:
http://www.TorqueWind.com.tk
I don't think their page help much though because they just have their own description and not many resources.
By the way, there are couple more electric supercharger in the market, they're all like a tubine added between the air filter and the tube, I'm just wondering if they really work. I've seen some article that said the fan in the turbine will be sucked into the engine due to the large air pressure, so they are not safe at all. Anyone has any opinion on that? is that true?</font>

#5 ·
<font color='#000000'>sorry guys, the web-site should be:
www.torquewind.tk
I've read serveral forums these 2 days, some of them said electric supercharger works and some said that they are crap. But there are real graph and data showing that they work. Some race car also have device with the same concept, only the size is different. I do realize that it is much less powerful than turbo and normal supercharger, but considering the price, if it really can boost up to 5 to 10% hp, I think it is worth a try. a $200 e-supercharger can give you 1/2 the power of a $2000 turbo, isn't that tempting? But I do want to listen to you guys' opinion first and make sure it is safe to use before I buy it. Let me know what you guys think ater visiting the web-site. If you guys have any other prduct that work the same way( I know there's already a few e-supercharger out there), and you think that yours are better, please let me know too. Thanks</font>

#6 ·
<font color='#000F22'>Alright i would save ur money, for one They are dynoing those cars and not telling you what else was done to the car. they also come with a filter which would help increase hp. at first i was gonna say the one gives 1psi of boost, which isnt much but hey it helps, intill i noticed there dynos and they claimed to put one on a mr2 turbo. that doenst make any sense, why would the owner do that?? all he would have to do is boost more out of his turbo, I think they are trying to claim these gains ect.... to sell there product. yeah it might give u a couple hp but its also 300 bucks invest that into a header or something</font>

#7 ·
<font color='#000000'>Save your money.  It is really not worth anymore than $50 because that is what mine cost about a year ago.  When put on a stock car it does do a bit of good off the line.  However once you start to get in to high RPMS in all you gears teh engine qill suck more and more air.  Teh fan in the device can suck enough to help you at 0-2000 rpms, then by 4000 rpms it is doing nothing except keeping the air ciculating(which is good)  by the time you are at 5000 +  rpms the fan is in the way and restricting air flow.  Look at how much space there is for air when the fan is stopped.  Not much.  A cold air intake system is just as effective.  A good 3inch aluminum cold air intake will add about 5 to 7 hp at most and the supercharger will  free hp up but then restrict it at high rpms.
   When i took mine off and put on a cold air intake on my 5th gen GT i gained a lot.  At high rpms the car ran smoother and was not strugguling for air.  Your best bet if you really want it is to put it near the cone of the intake but not on the piping.  That way air is ciculating freeliny without restriction.  Any other questions you can feel free to email me at phantombooking@msn.com</font>

#8 ·
<font color='#000000'>I though of something else.  For one when these compnaies try to sell to people by comparing an electronic fan to a turbo it is all just to sound good.  I am in marketing so trust me I know how tempting things can sound.  Even the price.  You think well if its $300 than it must be good no one would rip me off.  Well they will cause its worth about $15 and cost about $5 to make so think about it.  Sure a compnay sells a product for that much and a few things can happen.  One people get it hook it up and fell a difference that is all in their head.  Some will be in denial and some will complain.  Two for some stock car it works great and they get buissness.  Anyway worst case senario is they get shut down because everyone says they are too expensive and its not worth it but the company alread sold several hundred units and made a lot of money and then can change their name and go back into selling whatever they want even e-superchargers if they wanted because we all want hp and there are people out there who want it so bad they will buy it.  Sorry if that was a lecture but it wasn't ment to be.  I am just warning all you cause i have lost money to faulty stuff and we work hard on our cars and on making money so just be cautios.  9 out of ten times if it sounds to good to be true it is as far as aftermaket performance stuff goes.

BTW 12v drags on you battery and power.  You can go on ebay and find them for $50...  if you want to give a try.</font>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.