Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>Ive got a 92 celica gt: manual. I have only had it for 4 months, so I dont know if th tranny oil has ever been changed.
READ this first tho. A week or two ago I noticed that my car "kicks" every once-in-a-while, especially when going from 2nd-3rd or 3rd-4th. I had my cousins boyfriend (a mechanic) drive it, but the damn problem disapeared. Ive noticed that after I change from 2nd to 3rd, and have to slow down slightly for some reason (a moron cuts in front of me, people using croswalk at wrong time, etc) and then if I pick up again it will sometimes kick if i put my foot on the gas slightly. Im not stupid and I dont let the rpms go really low. I shift around 3k in 2 and reach 2500 when in 3rd. If I have to slow down and rpm is say, 1700 and sligthly pick up it will jump a little. If I mash my foot on the gas, it will speed up with no problem.

Could changing my tranny fluid fix this? What sort of fluid should i go with?</font>

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
<font color='#000080'>I think that will happen in a lot of cars if you don't use your clutch and let off the gas and then press back on it.  You have to press the gas really gently if you don't want your car to jump.  I'm not sure if I answered your question or not, let me know.</font>

·
Registered
32 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Either way fresh gear oil wont help you out. I wouldnt change it unless it was dirty. Toyotas can be flaky about gear oil, it will never quite shift the same without a little tweaking (ie add a little ATF or whatever).</font>

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font color='#000000'>What is ATF?
and Mr.J, no that didnt solve my prob. Like I said, im not a total moron. I know if you push the car hard its gonna act up. If you reread my post, this happens only when I have slowed down in third or fourth the the point where the rpms are lower than 2k, then I gently resume acceleration and SOMETIMES that "jump" or "kick" occurs, and its not violent, just a small kick, But never happened like 2 months ago.

I have accidentaly started the car when it was in first and let go of the clutch. Ive done this maybe 3 or 4 times.
AND
I have "grinded" gears when I wanted go reverse. I was just learning how to drive a manual, and thought it was in reverse when it wasnt *fully* in reverse gear, as soon as I heard the tiniest bit of grind I immediately put it back in nuetral. (happened like 5 times)

Could those have hurt the tranny/ caused the kick that occasionaly happens?</font>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts