Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>Hello everyone,
 I've got a quick question.  Anyone have a suggestion for trouble areas to look for on a 92 st185?  I'm looking at one, I own a 91 Gt now, so I'm aware of things like the wheel bearings going.  I was just wondering if anyone had any st185 specific quirks that I should look for.  Thanx.</font>

·
Registered
563 Posts
<font color='#000000'>im in the exactl same bucket as you atm.. upgrading from an st184 to an st185

the 3sgte in the st185 is a pretty touch customer but like all engines without decent care and too much abuse they simply die. check for things like the boost comign on too late or not coming on hard ( generally gives signs of turbo abuse either worked too hard or not cooled down properly), any burning oil smoke from the tail pipe (when the car is cold get someone to kick it over for you whilst you watch the tail)  a tiny bit of smoke/condensation is somewhat normal.
just check for any noise from the diff's usually presents itself as clicking noises. these are generally terminal

and like all rally cars look for any accident damage. ask to see photos if possible reciepts of repair... big $$$ repairs = big damage. many of these cars have been smashed at some point or another simply due to the way they ten dto get driven off road
</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font color='#000000'>thanx man, I'm new to the world of boost so those tips will be helpful.  Other than that I'm just gonna drive and see how different it feels Mine's got the white smoke problem already, so I'm aware of that.  It's still completley stock, so I'm thinking it might be in good shape.  It's also parked in front of a trinket store, I'm thinking it might be a chick car, the sort of chick that doesn't know what she's cruising around in... :oops: We'll see how it goes</font>

·
Registered
563 Posts
<font color='#000000'>when you say white smoke is it *white* or a greyish white..

if its greyish its generally burning oil which indicates excessive wear so either lots of miles or a hard life.
if its white its generally loosing coolant into a cylinder so generally rooted headgasket or head. = big $$$ = big trouble.

im actually a little skeptical of chicks that own hard performace cars... i know im generalising and maryem, luvnmyceli, CC and others will blast me for it but....
most chicks will buy the car on looks performace is a somewhat secondary consideration which then raises why has the chick bought an st185 over an st184 which is cheaper and easier to find. in my experice many of these types of cars ie: hard performance versions of sports cars ir st185 if they have had a female owner may have had just as hard a life as one with a male owner but often havent had the same level of obsessive care and mechanical maintenence. where most cars are quite happy with logbook servicing a performance vehicle esp turbo that is driven hard will quite simply keel over and #### itself in the arse if not maintained well. turbos in particular thrive on good quality clean oil. if you drive it medium  id say change every 5000km if you drive it hard id personally change it mroe regularly. again turbos die without good fresh clean coolant. getting hot will kill them. so whilst the servicing interval for the coolant is repalce every 40,000km if you drive hard id do it twice that regualrly. so you just have the be very careful as to what car you end up picking.</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font color='#000000'>thanks toof,

On my car it's more of a greyish smoke, I know my piston rings are worn to hell, poor thing has 180 grand on it.

On the gt4, turns out it's not a chick car after all.  I'm still trying to work out a time to take it for a ride and check it out a little more thoroughly.  Def. gonna make sure this guy knows about the cool down time thing, and that the oil was regularly changed and such...   Does the turbo have it's own oil pan, or does it run off the engine oil?    Thanks again for all the info, I appreciate it</font>

·
Registered
563 Posts
<font color='#000000'>runs on the main engine oil and water</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<font color='#000000'>cool, that helps the clueless people maintain it better.

Thanks again man</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts