Toyota Celica Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Geeeesh.... Just when I thought it was licked.
Got it to fire on one cylinder but pops and bucks so things I know for certain. I have air, I have fuel and I have spark. Timing keeps popping up as an issue again.
Took off the cruise control, power steering res, alternator and top cover. Timing marks are still in place or so I think.
Remember I have about 2 1/2" to work with so everything on the cam pulley is all mirror. The PO had marked a white notch on the cam seal for what I'm assuming was the cam timing set point. Looking through the mirror I see a smaller hole about an inch left of the marked notch. Now I'm wondering if I've been setting the wrong marks.
Anyone else ever find two marks on the cam seal?
Check the pdf. Blue is the notch and red is where the other small "hole" is.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You make it look too easy. Here's what I'm working with. There is no mark at high noon but wondering if I should advance the pulley a notch or two to 12 o'clock. Can't hurt to try. Getting so I can pull it apart in my sleep which I'm probably doing. :LOL:

1230201341a.jpg
1230201341.jpg

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I did try the other mark to the left, motor spun with no compression so there was a shot that missed. Another thing. When all those planets are in alignment per instructions the dizzy rotor is past the cap contact for #1. What confuses me is part "d" of those instructions."(d) Slowly turn the crankshaft pulley 1 7/8 revolutions and align its groove with the mark at BTDC 45" (for No.1 cylinder) of the No.1 timing belt cover. NOTICE; Always tum the crankshaft clockwise."
Wondering if this is done before snapping the tensioner in place. It would align the rotor closer to the #1 plug. Arrrgghhhh

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sefiro.... Question you could help with. After installing my new (rebuilt) ECU, I turned the key and got more bells and dash lights then I knew existed. The ECU was a major problem, timing belt finished up etc. I tried starting and got a few sputs. When I turned the dizzy clockwise it wanted to start but just wouldn't. Sorta tells me the timing is still off a notch or two. Watched two different youtube videos on changing the belt. one video says line the cam with the hole at the 11am position. I did that. Another video says line the notch at 12 noon. That position would bring me more agreeable with the dizzy position. If you recall way back when I knew this was a franken engine and all the shop manuals call for the 11am position. I'm thinking it should be as you suggested at the 12 noon. Any thoughts??

21 - 25 of 25 Posts