Toyota Celica Forum banner

Throttle body vacuum hoses - 1992 Celica GT, with 2.2L 5SFE engine.

11K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Marky C 
#1 ·
Hello, did anyone figure out where the vacuum hoses from the back of the throttle body goes to? I have a 1992 Celica GT, with 2.2L 5SFE engine.

#2 ·
Don't know what you mean by "back" on mine there are no hoses on the firewall side. On the bottom there are three larger hoses for cooling. There is one larger one on the front side for the valve cover breather. On the top are three vacuum hoses. Here are pics from mine. You should have a decal on the front inside of the hood that shows the hose routing.
Hope these help. Of the three hoses on top the one closest to the firewall goes to the temp sensor on the water manifold. The top hose goes to the intake and the bottom hose goes to the charcoal canister.

#9 ·
A sticker from 91 Gt.

But when compared to the actual, clearly short on facts.

Update to my post:
  • filtered to the MAP/Vacuum Sensor
  • to the fuel pressure regulator
  • to the cruise control
  • capped test port (under the other 3)

Comments
  • the cruise control is vacuum controlled. Toyota updated in the middle of the 5th gen with a solid state control that no longer needed the vacuum port. Other things were done as well (like knock sensor, moving the coil to the distributor, etc) that also resulted in an update intake manifold
  • the sticker hints at possible AC hookup (which I do have). That port has a control valve from a Toyota truck from that era (not original in my pic)
  • other major port on the end goes to the brake booster
  • not shown in the picture or sticker is true port to the to the power steering pump. It has a mechanical air flow device mounted to it such that when you turn to the extreme, the control opens allowing vacuum to pull air from clean supply. Clean supply comes from the air intake, via hardpipe mounted on the backside of the engine.

Remember, this is a 91 GT

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
Be very wary of a GAS LINE that comes from the front of the Throttle Body and then down to the engine. It is a Cold Start pressure Line that looks like a Vacuum Line. If you damage it, you will cause a fire while driving. You will also have to have a Pressure Hose vendor remanufacturer to replace it. Toyota no longer makes them in Japan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.