Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys.
During an engine installation to my 2002 Celica GTS, the car would start up and idle very high. We drove it and it threw a check engine light. Upon scanning, it showed a knock sensor problem.

We swapped the knock sensor, but the problem persisted. We then thought it was the ECU and tried another, but it still didn't work.

Finally, we checked the wires and found that the wires to the knock sensor (behind the manifold) and the oil sensor (above the oil filter) were swapped in error.
We have fixed it, but sadly the ECU still cannot detect the knock sensors.

Is it possible that both ECUs were fried because of the wrong signals received?
Is there any way I could test the ECUs to find out?
Is it possible to perform a format of sorts to the ECU?

It's really difficult to get another ECU here as these cars are not popular in Nigeria.

Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 1994 and I could never get an aftermarket knock sensor to work. I had to get an original Toyota sensor from a junk yard. You might try to put original knock sensor back in now that wiring connectors are sorted. It sounds like you have two problems.....knock sensor code and high idle. They may not be related. When doing engine swap, it is very easy to miss engine grounds or body grounds. It is also easy to connect a vacuum line wrong or to the wrong port. There may be manifold vacuum port (vacuum at idle) or ported vacuum ports (vacuum when throttle slightly opened). First step might be to plug any vacuum ports on the intake and determine where the leak is coming from or circuit is causing the leak.

The ECUs are pretty strong and you did not feed 12v into either of those wires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 1994 and I could never get an aftermarket knock sensor to work. I had to get an original Toyota sensor from a junk yard. You might try to put original knock sensor back in now that wiring connectors are sorted. It sounds like you have two problems.....knock sensor code and high idle. They may not be related. When doing engine swap, it is very easy to miss engine grounds or body grounds. It is also easy to connect a vacuum line wrong or to the wrong port. There may be manifold vacuum port (vacuum at idle) or ported vacuum ports (vacuum when throttle slightly opened). First step might be to plug any vacuum ports on the intake and determine where the leak is coming from or circuit is causing the leak.

The ECUs are pretty strong and you did not feed 12v into either of those wires.
Okay. Thanks.
I've run into a new problem.
I have worn out the socket into which the sensor goes.
How can I fix the threads?
Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts