Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>i have a 92 celica gt-s with over 200 thousand miles now and i was wondering if it was time for a new engine or if its worth it to add an intake and headers for the existing one? what kind of engine could i swap anyways and how much would it cost? anyone have info? ???</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000000'>i wouldnt mod the 5sfe with all them miles, the only swap worth the time is the 3sgte engine... cost depends on who does the work and all, figure around 1800 for the engine with out sensors and all, or u could get the clip which would include everything for around 2500, but you would still need the exhast done for u, and labor would be a heafty bill as well if u can do it urself it would save a lot of money</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font color='#000000'>how much horsepower would a 3sgte put out anyways? would you suggest doing the swap or should i just save my money and get a newer car altogether?</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000000'>3sgte is 225hp stock and has a lot of mods available. a swap is good, if u have a bond with ur car. if u got the money i would say do it</font>

·
Registered
50 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Actually it depends on what generation of the 3sgte you get for how much horsepower. The first generation ones (st165 I think) gave you 190hp. Second gens (st185 I think) gave 200hp. Third gens (st205) gave an aweosme 260hp, but were only released on the japanese 94-99 Celica GT4's.

First gens were realeased in 86-89 Celica GT4's and All-Tracs.

Second gens were released with 90-93 Celica GT4's and All-Tracs...as well as with the 90-9x MR2's in which the chassis code would be SW20.

I got my data from toyotacelicaonline.com, but jhull is most likely more right than me. He actually has done the swap so he'd know.

Oh and jhull, my parents say I can't do a turbo kit or a engine swap on this car until I get out of college! Haha! When I'm out of high school this puppy's getting a 3sgte and a manual switchover. For now though, I'm still going to buy little things for the 5sfe, because this lazy beast isn't cutting it. Later man. Good luck witht he swap!</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000000'>this is correct my numbers come from this...
if u buy a engine the only thing u will find or want to swap would be a low milage engine, so it would be a jdm, i never saw a jdm first generation so i dont think u would, and third generation good luck finding sence like u said it was only in japan it would be very difficult to find, and if u did find it it would be very pricy. which leaves the 2nd generation jdm which is 225hp. u are correct but what are the chances u would swap it for a high milage engine? the only thing u can find really is the jdms and we just went throught the generation options on that so that is where i get the 225hp</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<font color='#000000'>thanks for all the information. 225 hp sounds really good compared to what i got now. but say i couldnt afford an engine swap...how many hp could i add to the existing 5sfe? with what mods? and how much? i really want to get the most out of my car. thanks again.</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000000'>the 5sfe engine doesnt have many bolt ons. so the only really thing u can do with out breaking into the engine would be intake exhast fuel pressure regulator and igniton system.. figure those mods would cost about 700-1000 varies by brand of course and i think those mods could squeeze about another 30hp outta the car, giving u 160hp.. if tuned right of course.. so either way u go it can get expensive..</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts