Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>This is my dumb question:  Does a manual have transmission fluid?  I was under the impression it did but then someone told me that it doesnt, that it has gear oil, or something like that.</font>

·
Registered
93 Posts
<font color='#000000'>transmission fluid is generally said about auto boxes, and gearbox oil about manuals.
So yea manuals do use gearbox oil... although in the long run its all basically the same thing...
We usually say gearbox oil for manuals just so that people dont get confused...
engine oil, gearbox oil, dif oil.
Some people just dont understand!!!
Hope that helps.
</font>

·
Registered
122 Posts
<font color='#000000'>yes i dont know why people are dumb and make up a new name. little harder to put in a manual though. in auto it is normally up top in a nice little container that is labeled but in manual you have to get under car and put it into this place in the side of the tranny.</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
<font color='#000000'>yeah, and in an automatic you don't have to move the stick up and down, so it makes it faster</font>

·
Registered
85 Posts
Originally posted by stspiffy@April 23 2004,11:15
<font color='#000000'>yeah, and in an automatic you don't have to move the stick up and down, so it makes it faster</font>
<font color='#000000'>hmm... generally manuals are slightly faster (unless you don't know what you're doing), that, plus an automatic tranny is heavier.  
</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>
Originally posted by stspiffy@April 23 2004,11:15
yeah, and in an automatic you don't have to move the stick up and down, so it makes it faster
:laugh:   Tru dat!

Vaportrail:  He was just kidding  
o: We know that the manuals are a little faster and autos are a bit heavier. :glare:</font>

·
Registered
93 Posts
Originally posted by VaporTrail+April 23 2004,12:05-->QUOTE (VaporTrail @ April 23 2004,12:05)
<font color='#000000'><!--QuoteBegin-stspiffy
@April 23 2004,11:15
yeah, and in an automatic you don't have to move the stick up and down, so it makes it faster
hmm... generally manuals are slightly faster (unless you don't know what you're doing), that, plus an automatic tranny is heavier.  
</font>[/B]
<font color='#000000'>slightly faster.......... I dont think so.. I have a 91 celica (manual) and my mum has a 95 celica (auto) we both have the same engine and both got no other work done to the car (except mum has mags/lowered and i have interior work) Anywayz I lined up against my mum... And i absolutly flogged her! We both got home and she wanted to swap cars but i told her to politly get f*cked!
So there ya go... manuals arent just slightly quicker.... there is actually quite a difference.</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>Well not really, it also depends on how many speeds the car has.  My 7th gen 4 spd auto will get beat by a 7th gen 6 spd manual, but I know I can beat a 7th gen 5 speed auto GT.  That also makes a difference.  And also the driver makes a difference...</font>

·
Registered
93 Posts
<font color='#000000'>yea true... mums car is a 4sp auto and mine is 5sp manual.... mines 5th gen hers is 6th gen both good drivers...  :p</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
<font color='#000000'>if they have the same engine then they're both the gt's from their generation.  the st for the 5th gen is 1.6L while the st for the 6th gen is 1.8L.  the only engine shared between the two generations is the 2.2 5sfe.

91 gt 5spd manual
[email protected]
2804lbs
gearing ratios:
1 - 3.29
2 - 2.04
3 - 1.32
4 - 1.03
5 - 0.82

95 gt 4spd auto
[email protected]
2560lbs
gearing ratios:
1 - 4.005
2 - 2.208
3 - 1.425
4 - 0.981

she's got more horsepower, less weight, and higher gearing ratio, that 6th gen would blow the doors off your 5th gen if she used the automatic shifter.  she probably stayed in the drive gear, which causes the automatic transmission to shift gears way before the hp peaks to obtain maximum horsepower.  she was probably shifting gears at half the horsepower while you were leaving her in the dust at redline.

edit:  but what dumbfounds me is, while you were wasting time using that little stick thingie in your manual transmission, her automatic should have blown by you!  you must be a terrific driver or something.  you should put a turbocharger in your car.  better yet, you should get two.  and make sure your headlight fluid is topped off, that'll give you at least another... like 5 or 6 horsepower.</font>

·
Registered
40 Posts
<font color='#000000'>personally i like manuals better but one thing I do like about auto is its easier to shot noz</font>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts