Toyota Celica Forum banner

Still giving me a hard time..

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Foxtherouge 
#1 ·
I've had time lately to work on my car so im doing 1 by one. Thought it was getting better but all of a sudden it doesn't seem so.

I have:
-Seafoamed my car, which now it burns oil faster?
-rotated coilpacks to fix misfires ( was cilinder 3, now it's 3 and 4)
-replaced air filter
-cleaned maf
-oil change.

Right now my car is having a very rough idle and bogs when I take off from first. I can hear what sounds like misfires and puffing from a stop.

Wild guess says to start with replacing coils and spark plugs since I just seafoamed, right or not?

#2 ·
check your compression first and make sure you haven't popped any cylinders. the oil burning issue is actually an early gen gt issue as the motor gets older. something to do with the piston rings I believe or something along that line. to fix it I believe you have to replace a bunch of parts or just find a later gen motor or a gts motor. for the misfiring try doing packs and plugs at the same time. also get a gas can and mix 93 octane, dry gas, fuel system cleaner, and octane booster then put it in your gas tank, ill clean up your internals a bit. if that doesn't help then you might want to bring it to a shop and see if they could do a simple tear down and try to tighten everything up.

#3 ·
Yeah the oil burning issue is the holes in pistons getting clogged from what I read seafoam is supposed to slow it down a little, but after doing, it didn't help. It actually burns faster now and I don't get it.

Ordered coils and plugs today, and ran some dry gas and stuff with higher octane gas and it doesn't bog from 1st gear now. Although it's idle is still like 600-800. Maybe it just needs turned up?

#4 · (Edited)
Found a video that pretty much covers the weekend mechanics fix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A595LR4SQpI

With all the research and reading I've done I understand this is a common problem with all pre-2003 1ZZ-FE's. Celica, Corolla, Matrix etc. The Toyota fix was to redesign the pistons and rings which included more and larger oil holes in the pistons. I'm shocked Toyota didn't include this fix sooner, as it affects EVERY early 1ZZ-FE in literally, hundreds of thousands of cars! I plan on doing everything I can to to keep the enigne clean, and when my Celica starts burning oil, I'll have to decide to either fix it or acquire a 2ZZ. 2ZZ's have their own problems, but that's another story.

Do a Google search, there's a ton of info out there on this specific problem. Once it starts consuming oil, don't let it go, as this will eventually damage the cylinders and other components ie O2 sensors, Catalytic converter etc.

And by the way, I found a post by a Toyota Mechanic that said a compression test won't identify this problem.

By the sounds of it, your other problem, rough idle, may be related to the timing chain. This is also a common problem. Its common between 100-150k KM for the chain guides to wear, chain stretch and this can cause the sprockets to wear. Replacement of guides, chain and sprockets will fix this. Google is a great reference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.