Toyota Celica Forum banner

61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
PM the moderbator about a sticky, this is a good topic.

Apparently my SVX will run up to 160, the 92's were ungoverned, I've only seen 130 so far. My 90 GT would hit the rev limiter around 115-120

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
QUOTE (VTECKiller @ Feb 17 2007, 12:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=139578
Theres always the possibility that your not actually going 150mph. Apparently, mechanical speedos have a speed error once you pass a certain speed. This is a common problem in the FC RX-7s, after you pass about 110mph the speedo will take off, eventually reading 150 when your really only doing about 125-130. Think of it like an expodential graph...

Plus, i dont care what tires you have, i doubt that they would of handled 150mph, esipcally in the width your running.[/B]
That may be it too... but what do you mean you doubt my tires would hold because of the width? Too wide or too narrow? I'm pretty sure they're Z rated.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Do not postwhore the pinned threads please. I cleaned this one up a bit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi,
i am driving a 1991 Celica SX (im Australian) which is our base model for Celicas...ever...you cant go lower, however, when i was reading the comparisons, mine sounded more like the GTS with the 5lug wheels, wider flares, all power options, and the guages sound the same almost (ie. i have the battery voltmeter, however, my speedo goes upto 250kph which is 155mph).
anyway, my point is about the top speed discussion part. I assume that governers were never installed in the Jap-spec celicas (mine is an import). So, i was heading to a party in another town and i was very later so i floored it without thinking and when i looked down, the speed was sitting just past 220kph on this long stretch of highway and was still slowly increasing - up until my car shut down that is...so i slowly got it off the road and found i no longer had a radiator...but it still got up that speed...and i have had it checked all over the speedo range...and it is only out by 10kph maximum...fully stock engine and exhaust, and the auto gear box...tell me how that happened...
not saying that your wrong...of course...maybe jap-spec has a slightly different setup or something...but thats what happened...

·
Registered
587 Posts
QUOTE (Kev07 @ Mar 24 2007, 05:20 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=142918
Hi,
i am driving a 1991 Celica SX (im Australian) which is our base model for Celicas...ever...you cant go lower, however, when i was reading the comparisons, mine sounded more like the GTS with the 5lug wheels, wider flares, all power options, and the guages sound the same almost (ie. i have the battery voltmeter, however, my speedo goes upto 250kph which is 155mph).
anyway, my point is about the top speed discussion part. I assume that governers were never installed in the Jap-spec celicas (mine is an import). So, i was heading to a party in another town and i was very later so i floored it without thinking and when i looked down, the speed was sitting just past 220kph on this long stretch of highway and was still slowly increasing - up until my car shut down that is...so i slowly got it off the road and found i no longer had a radiator...but it still got up that speed...and i have had it checked all over the speedo range...and it is only out by 10kph maximum...fully stock engine and exhaust, and the auto gear box...tell me how that happened...
not saying that your wrong...of course...maybe jap-spec has a slightly different setup or something...but thats what happened...[/B]
Hey Kev,
You don't need a radiator when you're going that fast, the wind is cooling the engine enough at that speed. It's when you're driving slow you need the radiator. Japs do have a different setup for their engines. I just read that they have a 1,6 liter engine with over 200 hp?? In Holland a 1,6 has 100 hp so that's quite a difference.

G

·
Hey I have heard the the 4afe, 5afe(which is a JDM motor, almost the same as 4 but no EGR and it's 1.5 li), and the 7afe will all drop in to my 91' ST I bought the car reeeeaaaaallllly cheap cause the 4a was blown now I wanna pull it and was lookin at the extra power of the 7a but I want it to drop right in. I know the 5a will use everything with no probles even the ecu but what about the 7a? do they use the same ecu, motor mounts, intake and exaust manifold...ect.

An answer is all I'm lookin for, I went to other fourms and the ppl were idiots. I know this is the best place to go for info.

Thanks everone

·
Registered
587 Posts
7a is from the T20?? I know almost for sure that it is not gonna fit. The connections are on other places. But correct me if I''m wrong.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Bump for the new members. Mike

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
There is. I need to work on that sticky some more. People should write crap for me to put in there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (Mano @ Aug 1 2005, 06:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=88054
Originally posted by Hammer@Aug 1 2005, 03:17 PM
This should be a sticky for sure...
Not all the Celicas were governed however, The Canadian version will do 140 or so, but it takes alot of road.
Yes, the Canadian versions are usually different, due to different laws. I know my 90 GT-S does NOT have its governer removed, and I've gotten it up to 205 km/h (roughly 128mph) before I saw a white crown vic and got scared... turned out to be an old man, haha. But it was still climbing, so no doubt it could have reached somewhere around 140mph

Also, besides the governed speed, there is other slight differences:
(Quote from my Haynes Celica 86-93 FWD Repair manual)

Idle speed:
1990 5S-FE
US model 700-750rpm
Canadian Manual 800-850rpm
Canadian Auto 750-800rpm

I think this is because either its colder up here, or because of emissions laws.
[/B]

I have a 92 GT 5sfe as well and I'm sure it can reach 140. Theres a stretch of back highway by my work I've gunned several times and the needle was well past the 120mph mark and bout half way thru the trip meter. Only mods I have are the usual bolt on. Cold air intake , kn filter , cat back exhuast with magna flow muffler "sounds awesome" stage 1 clutch kit ect

·
Registered
451 Posts
good info, but if its gonna be a sticky shouldnt it be done with more info, most of that info is only applicable to the us market, considering there is people from all over on this board, just a suggestion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
what is the difference between a 5th gen celica gt, and gt TRD edition, i know the trd is the toyota racing edition but whats actually different?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would also like to know if there is a GTS TRD model? I picked up a 93 GTS that had a blown engine and it has a TRD plastic emblem on the rear of the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
People, im so tired of reading new topics every other day about the differences between the ST GT and GT-S celicas and having to explain to each and every person the differences. So here it is. Read this before you ask any more "what is the difference..." questions.

Celica ST : 4AFE, DOHC, 16V. 105 hp, 1.6L. 4 Lug, 4 x 100mm wheels Your slow economy car. Came in the coupe model only with no power anything. Only body difference between this model and the GT coupes are the black door ding guards and mirrors. Overall the slowest celica out of the 5th generation.

Celica GT : 5SFE, DOHC, 16V, 130-135hp 2.2L. 5 lug, 5 x 100mm wheels The baseline sportscar. The GT came in either the coupe or the hatchback models. While both versions have the same engine, the coupe weighs about 100 pounds lighter. GTs usually come with power steering, windows, locks. ABS, Cruse control, alloy wheels, the System 10 sound system was an option (however rare).

Celica GT-S ; 5SFE, DOHC, 16V 130-135hp 2.2L, 5 lug, 5 x 100mm wheels. The "sportiest" if the NA celicas. The GT-S only came in the hatchback model with the flared wider finders in the front and back. Came with all power options of the GT standard, also the System 10 system is more common in these models, however still rare. Basically the GT-S could be summed up as the nonturbo AllTrac model. The gagues are different than the GT, the speedometer goes to 150 mph while the GT's only goes to 120. The GT-S's gagues also came with a battery voltmeter on the left side (where the boost gague for the AllTrac would be) one the left side of the panel where the GT only had the fuel and engine temp gagues.

As for speed, the GT and GT-S models both have the same horsepower, engine, transmission, suspension, gearing, EVERYTHING. The ONLY difference between these two models are the options the car came with and the wideness of the finders. The GT-S does not go to 140 mph, both are speed limited to 115mph. Both have the same hp rating, the same gearing, so both should run nearly the same 1/4 mile times. (by nearly i mean within .05 seconds of eachother)

Also, all the celicas did go through a body change in 92. None of the perforamce changed. The 5SFE in the GT and GT-Ss received a coilless ignition and a supposed 5hp increase, but there is no true gain between the two engines. The only thing that changed in 92 was the front bumper and rear taillights. The bumper went from a single "mouth" front bumper with foglights inside to a more open front with the foglights spearate on the sides of the opening. The rear lights got a different color layout with black or maroon dividers instead of the colors being side by side. Other than that, the years are all the same.
Is the suspension different between the st and gt? I found some shocks and coil overs that are for the gt so if there is no difference between them then the coil overs should fit the st right?

61 - 80 of 81 Posts