Toyota Celica Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
All the front bumpers are swappable. I dont think the rear bumpers for the coupes will match with the hatchbacks and visa versa.

All the spoilers should be intergangeable,seeing as all the 5th gens are the same mesurements for the hatch/trunk area, but the mounting points may be different between the coupes and hatches

·
Registered
233 Posts
The body lines are different between the coupe and liftback. I think the 2 pieces of the spoilers that overlap onto the fenders would be different. At least seen them always listed as from coupe or liftback. Mike P.S. we do need to keep bumping this one to the top if it does not get a sticky.

QUOTE (VTECKiller @ Oct 6 2005, 03:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=99232
All the front bumpers are swappable. I dont think the rear bumpers for the coupes will match with the hatchbacks and visa versa.

All the spoilers should be intergangeable,seeing as all the 5th gens are the same mesurements for the hatch/trunk area, but the mounting points may be different between the coupes and hatches[/B]

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think there is a difference between the GT and GT-S suspiensions. The shocks/struts should be the same. But I believe the sway bars and springs are heavier on the GT-S. I've seen 17-22mm listed for front sway bar bushings (don't remember the range on the rear ones but there is). If there are differences in the diameter are the 2 interchangable? I'd like the heaver suspension pieces on my GT if possible. Trying to add all the options I can to my GT and getting as many GT-S parts as possible onto the car would be great. Mike

People, im so tired of reading new topics every other day about the differences between the ST GT and GT-S celicas and having to explain to each and every person the differences. So here it is. Read this before you ask any more "what is the difference..." questions.

Celica GT : 5SFE, DOHC, 16V, 130-135hp 2.2L. 5 lug, 5 x 100mm wheels The baseline sportscar. The GT came in either the coupe or the hatchback models. While both versions have the same engine, the coupe weighs about 100 pounds lighter. GTs usually come with power steering, windows, locks. ABS, Cruse control, alloy wheels, the System 10 sound system was an option (however rare).

Celica GT-S ; 5SFE, DOHC, 16V 130-135hp 2.2L, 5 lug, 5 x 100mm wheels. The "sportiest" if the NA celicas. The GT-S only came in the hatchback model with the flared wider finders in the front and back. Came with all power options of the GT standard, also the System 10 system is more common in these models, however still rare. Basically the GT-S could be summed up as the nonturbo AllTrac model. The gagues are different than the GT, the speedometer goes to 150 mph while the GT's only goes to 120. The GT-S's gagues also came with a battery voltmeter on the left side (where the boost gague for the AllTrac would be) one the left side of the panel where the GT only had the fuel and engine temp gagues.

As for speed, the GT and GT-S models both have the same horsepower, engine, transmission, suspension, gearing, EVERYTHING. The ONLY difference between these two models are the options the car came with and the wideness of the finders. The GT-S does not go to 140 mph, both are speed limited to 115mph. Both have the same hp rating, the same gearing, so both should run nearly the same 1/4 mile times. (by nearly i mean within .05 seconds of each other)

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
yes you could swap them. the wider diameter just means a stiffer bar.

now that i think about it, i dont think my GT had a rear swaybar. Does anyone know if their GT-S has one?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
93 celica springs

90 Celica Springs

Both are the rear spring components. The site doesn't list part numbers but it looks to be different parts for the GT-S (then again the site isn't real clear to read) I had always heard that the GT-S had stiffer suspension- then again it just may be wishful thinking.

and the same site is listing rear sway bars for all celica models- genuine toyota parts

sway bar

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
Ill try to clear somethings up here...
front bumper is interchangable. rear is kinda a different story as vtec said the middle panel in the backs are different depending on year and its not just color they are different sizes as well one is wider. I know this because I had a customer who needed his swapped and the one he had purchased was not as wide as the one he had on the car, I had to modify the new one and make it wider to fill the 2" holes on each side.
as far as top speed. I know Once i hit around 110 it didnt seem to really want to move much faster I think thats around the top speed for the car. Im sure if you were in a completly open desert with a lot of open room you could get it to go faster but 110-115 is just about the most it will do.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks I'll have to call them. I went and looked under the car today and I thought there was no sway bar in the rear. Looks like it may be up higher than I looked. I'll post again when I find out more. Mike

QUOTE (trumanpriest @ Feb 11 2007, 05:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=139279
93 celica springs

90 Celica Springs

Both are the rear spring components. The site doesn't list part numbers but it looks to be different parts for the GT-S (then again the site isn't real clear to read) I had always heard that the GT-S had stiffer suspension- then again it just may be wishful thinking.

and the same site is listing rear sway bars for all celica models- genuine toyota parts

sway bar [/B]

·
Registered
132 Posts
why did toyota put the 5sfe in the gts when there was a JDM 3sge (i think it was 165bhp, the gen after was a 185bhp 3sge) is the 5sfe a better engine with more capability with the extra 0.2L when it was around 30hp less stock. Back on speedos why did the GT-FOUR (JDM) go to 180km/h when the previouse generation went to 240km/h, and im not 100% sure on this wasnt there hardly any diffrence beween 1st and 2nd gen 3sgte execpt from say 195bhp to 115bhp? i cant remember the exact numbers righ now

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
QUOTE (brydenm @ Feb 12 2007, 06:21 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=139341
... is the 5sfe a better engine with more capability with the extra 0.2L when it was around 30hp less stock...[/B]
The short answer is Yes, for what type of engine they wanted to put into it to deliver to a still budding US market. Yes. The push was for fuel economy and reliability- which conveniently enough is what Toyota is known for today. The 5S-"FE-efficiency" was put in the cars to be reliable and efficient. I honestly am happy every day that I have my 5S. Sure there are times when some boyo in a "Stang" acts like an idiot that I wish I had a 3S-GTE and AWD but hey- that was a different car for all practical purposes- and honestly that other car met, not exceeded, their expectations for sales. The 5SFE went into more Toyota's than probably any other engine has, and still run like champs. My engine is 18 years old now, and sure the damn rear main oil seal leaks but that engine runs like a CHAMP! I mean come on- there probably isn't anyone who hasn't abused their engine a bit trying to make the motor fit the sporty design of the car and for the most part that engine still hasn't let you down (not to mention the engine is pretty low maintenance, great for "American drivers") My $0.02

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
+1 for a 5S. I would keep up with B16 swapped civics. Great motor, even if there isnt an aftermarket for it....and mine pissed oil.

I would guess another point of view for the lack of a 3S engine is they might have not wanted to turn US buyers away from an AllTrac. Im sure most buyers would ask "Why spend the extra money for only a 15hp bump?". Think about it, most people dont know and/or dont give a damn about a turbo. Its the same reason why the US 240s never came with the SR20. It would cause the 240s to have the same performance as the 300ZX, and Nissan America didnt want that competition.

Just more of a point that Japan is more of a buyers market. You buy the car you want, as opposed to here where most people are uneducated and walk into a car lot and let a salesman walk them into a Neon.

·
Registered
298 Posts
QUOTE (VTECKiller @ Feb 13 2007, 10:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=139409
Just more of a point that Japan is more of a buyers market. You buy the car you want, as opposed to here where most people are uneducated and walk into a car lot and let a salesman walk them into a Neon.[/B]
+1

Not to be a pain, but is there a different between a GT-S and a GT-S Sport? The reason i asked because every time i go to Schuck's (like NAPA) store, they always asked me is it a GT-S or a GT-S Sport.
I assume the different would be in suspension and lift back since engine and stranmission is the same. Maybe that might explain the different in SwayBar size.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
the s in gts stands for sport my guess is that whoever put the reference in the computer made a mistake. no difference

·
Registered
132 Posts
i just assumed that GT-S standed for GT-Sport
like the delux gt model
i would take an alltrac over a GT-S with a 3sgte, AWD really attracts me since i drive my car up the mountain a week. and i have to run studded tires on my car and sometimes use chains. im thinking of trading the 4th G on a 1992 GT-Four RC in september

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
You'll be very happy with AWD, they didn't plow very well in my neck of the woods and I had the time of my life sliding around yet still maintaining complete control (your results may vary)

btw - GT-S = Grand Touring Sport, at least according to legend and toyota naming protocol

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
QUOTE (jhull @ Feb 11 2007, 03:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=139281
Ill try to clear somethings up here...
front bumper is interchangable. rear is kinda a different story as vtec said the middle panel in the backs are different depending on year and its not just color they are different sizes as well one is wider. I know this because I had a customer who needed his swapped and the one he had purchased was not as wide as the one he had on the car, I had to modify the new one and make it wider to fill the 2" holes on each side.
as far as top speed. I know Once i hit around 110 it didnt seem to really want to move much faster I think thats around the top speed for the car. Im sure if you were in a completly open desert with a lot of open room you could get it to go faster but 110-115 is just about the most it will do.[/B]
I'd just like to point out/brag that I got mine to 240 km/h which is what..150mph? Maybe it's a canadian thing or I might have the opposite of a lemon? Anyway I'm getting the 3s installed in a few weeks. w00t.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Theres always the possibility that your not actually going 150mph. Apparently, mechanical speedos have a speed error once you pass a certain speed. This is a common problem in the FC RX-7s, after you pass about 110mph the speedo will take off, eventually reading 150 when your really only doing about 125-130. Think of it like an expodential graph...

Plus, i dont care what tires you have, i doubt that they would of handled 150mph, esipcally in the width your running.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Great post, someone really needs to make it sticky.... I needed to do search about this simple stuffs when I bought my celica to know the difference which took me some time.....

41 - 60 of 81 Posts