Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 1996 celica ST. I went to swap in my new rotors and pads when I noticed it seems my rotor is held on by the axle nut and isn’t the slide on type. Has anybody heard of this? I was under the impression most of these cars had the slide on type of rotors. So now Im thinking of swapping to GT brakes
34FEC461-EDB4-4C58-B921-18FB9CCE84DB.jpeg
723D67D6-7A19-4368-B67E-30F7B1CC740D.jpeg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry about the glitch in pics haha but let me know if They are supposed to slide on and mine are so seized on that I confused them. It looks to me like it’s all one piece but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
40 Posts
They should be slide-ons. They might be seized on, in which case, get that hammer out and bang the obverse of those old rotors. My father taught me to donkey kick them if you don't have a hammer readily available. When putting the new ones on, put some anti-seize on the mating surfaces inside the rotor to try and prevent them from sticking in the future.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok will do, I’ll try to get a bolt that fits in the slot too. It just confused me becuase there seemed to be no seam between the two. But that could be because someone Painted the top hats? So it bridges over the line

·
Registered
104 Posts
Agree with Pandito. As long as you're replacing anyway a few sharp hits with a hammer from behind should break the rusty seal.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Victory! Thanks guys. I used the nut and bolt method to press them off. They were super seized! Never had that problem in Oregon. The last owner neglected it. The caliper pistons were so seized I had a hard time compressing them. So I’m thinking this thing is going to stop ages better. I’m flushing the fluid too. Thanks again guys for giving me the help to go back in and finish.

·
Registered
40 Posts
👏

That's great to hear! Congrats! What were the bolt specs of the ones you used for the nut and bolt method?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe it was a 3/8 fill thread bolt. And about 5 inches long. I tightened for a bit and was thinking “not sure if this is working....” BANG! The rotor popped off with force. Good thing I had the lugs on or it would’ve flown off

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don't forget to put anti-seize on the mating surfaces of the interior of the rotor and the hub! Not too much, but a light spread.

In your pic, I see you put the nuts and bolts going through the caliper mounts, is that correct? You didn't use the 2 center bolt holes on the rotor itself?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes that is correct sorry for the late replt
Don't forget to put anti-seize on the mating surfaces of the interior of the rotor and the hub! Not too much, but a light spread.

In your pic, I see you put the nuts and bolts going through the caliper mounts, is that correct? You didn't use the 2 center bolt holes on the rotor itself?

yes that is what I did. By doing so u hold the nut and the end of the bolt will push the rotor out. Sorry for the late reply and I did put antiseize on the rotor as well thanks again. I did new brake fluid and bled them. It brakes much better!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts