Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>I just bought a beat up 84 gt, I would like any help or advice on exterior dress up, interior dress up, engine mod, any swap advice, cost, also anybody know how much it would cost for me to put in manual trans, would it be worth it, I got the car for 5oo bucks.  I have a lot of work to do.  Anyone have anything to advise, or help would be greatly appreciated, thanks....</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000000'>ok here u go...
exterior dress up- good luck, maybe a paint job.. i dont think there are any body kits or anything out there for that car..
interior dress up- if the carpet isnt ripped u can start by dying that, replace the headliner with a matching vynal or just dye that as well, u can paint the dash there is a pretty detailed topic on that if u use the search u will find it. replace the shifter. get some racing seats for it, and a matching steering wheel.
engine mods- hard to say cause i dont know what engine u currently have, and same for the swap advice..
as far as swapping transmitions u can do it u need a tranny for that engine, with all accessories like clutch slave cylinder ect... find another 84 celica at a junk yard and take out the center consel to remove the shifer, and lickages there is gonna be 2 linkages take them both, take the pedal and assemble for that, then take the clutch cables ect..take the clutch reserve cylinder from the firewall and the lines for that as well.. if u do a engine swap it would be much easier for u to do at that time</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font color='#000000'>Hey man,
Let me know what you come up with. Does your's have a 22rec type engine? That's what I have in mine, mine is a 12/84 built "85" model. It gets up and goes pretty well with it's auto tranny, but the salvage yard they have here (on the Army post where I'm stationed) has a 5 spd sitting in an already dismembered 85, just begging me to take it home!
</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font color='#000000'>thanks for advice,
I looked real hard and found some engine mods I can use, some swap advice and even some trany advice, I looked REAL hard and found a body kit that costs about 800 though, but it's worth it to me.  I'ma give it a midnight black paint job and black and beige interior, I got black and silver pedals, and black and beige seat covers i'm trying to find matching rear seat cover but it's hard.  I reaplaced some minor wear and tear on carpet, can you explain exactly what you mean about dying the carpet?  On the floor or the door?  I want to just replace it all together is that possible?  I want to replace the top interior to a different color, that possible?  I'm gonna give it bigger tires and raise front a 8 inches and the front 4 inches and somehow replace the lights so there white but I can't fond any info on that

tahnkx for help</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font color='#000000'>thanks for advice,
I looked real hard and found some engine mods I can use, some swap advice and even some trany advice, I looked REAL hard and found a body kit that costs about 800 though, but it's worth it to me.  I'ma give it a midnight black paint job and black and beige interior, I got black and silver pedals, and black and beige seat covers i'm trying to find matching rear seat cover but it's hard.  I reaplaced some minor wear and tear on carpet, can you explain exactly what you mean about dying the carpet?  On the floor or the door?  I want to just replace it all together is that possible?  I want to replace the top interior to a different color, that possible?  I'm gonna give it bigger tires and raise the rear 8 inches and the front 4 inches and somehow replace the lights so there white but I can't fond any info on that

tahnkx for help</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000000'>u can replace the carpet but i think its gonna be hard to find the right color and what not.. with the dye  u take the carpet out and dye it like u would dye anything.. u can choose what ever color u want and dye pretty much anything u want</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<font color='#000000'>I found a way to make clear corners for my 84 celica sense they don't make any for 3rd gen.... anyone wanna know how lemme know</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font color='#000000'>I will cut & paste my reply from another thread, (too lazy to type it out again). Hope it helps.

BTW if you go to '3rd gen celicas' on this message board, i saw a link to a Erubini (or whatever it is) body kit for closer to $600 US.

Why do you want to RAISE your car???????!!!! That would be a step backwards, it would handle like crap. If anyhting, you should lower it an inch. bigger diameter tyres will make you accelerate slower (unless you meant wider tyres)

----------------------------------------------------------
There are heaps of people modding xA6x celicas - especially in the US. Go to www.celicas.org and sign up to the email list - it's the best source of rwd celica info there is, period.
Someone there should be able to tell you the best place to get a thorley; lot's of them have them. In the meanwhile, go here for the recommended parts list,http://www.speedtoys.com/~painkiller/framesetocc.html
Also try www.celica-gts.com - very good site. Steve has an '83 GTS and has heaps of mod guides, lots of tech info and forums etc too for these cars

You can do a lot to mod your car, I really recommend signing up to the OCC list. There is a turbo 22RE (22rTe) found in some trucks in the US, but there are issues with the manifolds etc fouling the steering rack. (It does drop easilly into the previous gen celica though, I believe.)
Turboing a 22RE can be done if you have the $$$ - Gary on the list has a 300HP turboed 22RE autocross beast.

Hope this helps
Stefan
-------------------------------------------------------</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts