Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I have a 5th gen GTS that has been sitting for a while that I'm hoping to finish up next year. The main problem is that when I go to start driving, it takes all the time in the world to shift from a stop to 2nd gear. It's really painful and then it SLAMS into 2nd gear.

I have new solenoids for the transmission but I'm thinking it could be the torque converter. I have all new fluid in the trans so it isn't an issue of old fluid, but it might be old deposits.

any suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Let's 1st start with a rough rule out:
  • If pressure related, then problems would occur for all shifts at lower rpms
  • If fluid level, then all shifts would be affected
  • solenoid problems typically set a code. Any?
  • Solenoid A is used in 1 & 2. Solenoid B is used in 2&3. Since you get into 1$3 just fine, solenoids are probably fine.
  • other common items like TPS, cable, pigtail would manifest in all shifts, so likely not these
  • you mentioned new fluid and filter, how bad was the old fluid. May have stuff stuck in the system

That leaves valves or accumulator.
  • there are 1-2 valves, might have a blown seal on one of these. The higher rpm introduces higher pressure that might overcome the leaking seal
  • there is a F1 clutch circuit that is only used in 2nd. It could be leaking (accumulator).
  • there are checkballs used in these circuits and one could sticking, worn down, or clogged with material and not closing completely (or the valve body gasket hole is worn).

In any case, looks like the valve body will have to be dropped and inspected. (Unless your old fluid was junked up due to F1 failing)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let's 1st start with a rough rule out:
  • If pressure related, then problems would occur for all shifts at lower rpms
  • If fluid level, then all shifts would be affected
  • solenoid problems typically set a code. Any?
  • Solenoid A is used in 1 & 2. Solenoid B is used in 2&3. Since you get into 1$3 just fine, solenoids are probably fine.
  • other common items like TPS, cable, pigtail would manifest in all shifts, so likely not these
  • you mentioned new fluid and filter, how bad was the old fluid. May have stuff stuck in the system

That leaves valves or accumulator.
  • there are 1-2 valves, might have a blown seal on one of these. The higher rpm introduces higher pressure that might overcome the leaking seal
  • there is a F1 clutch circuit that is only used in 2nd. It could be leaking (accumulator).
  • there are checkballs used in these circuits and one could sticking, worn down, or clogged with material and not closing completely (or the valve body gasket hole is worn).

In any case, looks like the valve body will have to be dropped and inspected. (Unless your old fluid was junked up due to F1 failing)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Damn that's thorough! I'll drop the valve body and check for deposits. The old fluid wasn't bad, still red, and had very little in the way of debris. Do you know of any sources for a diagram of the valve body so I know where to find the F1 clutch and numbered valves?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts