Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>Hi,
I'm pretty sure this hasn't been posted before as I haven't seen anybody with the same problem that I have. I was wondering if going 65mph and getting at 3100 RPMs is normal... My car is stock for the exception of lowered springs and has about 40k miles. I'm new at this board and any help would be appreciated. I don't know too much about cars and hope to learn from you all.

-Greg

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have a '00 Celica GTS</font>

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
<font color='#FF0000'>welcome to the boards!!
I've got the same thing, 2000 GT-S. 65mph at 3100 rpms in 6th gear sounds good to me! Thats pretty much wat I see when I go about that speed..
</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by iluvmyceli@Oct. 21 2003,12:03
<font color='#000000'>welcome to the boards!!
I've got the same thing, 2000 GT-S. 65mph at 3100 rpms in 6th gear sounds good to me! Thats pretty much wat I see when I go about that speed..
</font>
<font color='#000000'>Thx for the welcome and for the help... I just needed assurance that nothing was wrong with my car
You have such an awesome car

Also, since I have limited knowledge on my cars, what's the logic behind being able to get more miles per gallon when you travel by highway compared to traveling in the city?</font>

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
<font color='#FF0000'>thanks hun! It's my baby... Rosie is her name...  :blush:  Anyways, about traveling on the highway... just run it at low rpm's... ya know... in 6th gear, not dogging the hell out of it. Put Premium gas in it, nothing less and you'll get good gas mileage..
</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>Hello Flame, welcome to the board!  Glad to have you here, we'll help out however we can.  We're usually a lot busier but we've had a shortage of our regular members... they'll probably be back here in a few weeks trying to catch up on all they missed

Luv's right about the gas and the rpms (I think... mines an auto:( but that sounds right...)

As far as city vs. highway mileage:
Your car uses more fuel to start rolling from a standstill.  So in the city or suburbs you do a lot more stop-and-go so your car uses more fuel to keep starting to move from stop... plus it wastes fuel when you drive fast and have to then brake all of a sudden or shortly because it just started to burn fuel and then you cut it short.  On the highway you get rolling and then keep rolling at a set pace (cruise control is your friend
) so it uses the same amount of fuel always and doesn't need to start from a standstill frequently.  It also helps in the city to try and judge ahead of time when you'll need to brake and take your foot off the pedal and let it coast for a bit before you need to apply the brake.  That way it'll use up the fuel you already started burning.  I hope this makes sense and helped you out...</font>

·
Registered
26 Posts
<font color='#000000'>My 91 GT Auto is abotu the same.........mine cruises 75 at the mark right before 3k so what is that 2800?</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Meryem13@Oct. 21 2003,9:45
<font color='#000000'>Hello Flame, welcome to the board!  Glad to have you here, we'll help out however we can.  We're usually a lot busier but we've had a shortage of our regular members... they'll probably be back here in a few weeks trying to catch up on all they missed

Luv's right about the gas and the rpms (I think... mines an auto:( but that sounds right...)

As far as city vs. highway mileage:
Your car uses more fuel to start rolling from a standstill.  So in the city or suburbs you do a lot more stop-and-go so your car uses more fuel to keep starting to move from stop... plus it wastes fuel when you drive fast and have to then brake all of a sudden or shortly because it just started to burn fuel and then you cut it short.  On the highway you get rolling and then keep rolling at a set pace (cruise control is your friend
) so it uses the same amount of fuel always and doesn't need to start from a standstill frequently.  It also helps in the city to try and judge ahead of time when you'll need to brake and take your foot off the pedal and let it coast for a bit before you need to apply the brake.  That way it'll use up the fuel you already started burning.  I hope this makes sense and helped you out...</font>
<font color='#000000'>Thx for the welcome, Mery... I really appreciate the help, it makes a whole lot of sense :grin:
I hope to meet some of the regular members... get acquainted? :laugh:
I probably won't be posting here too often... I usually read other people's posts and learn from them.

Iluv - my car's name is Starla... after a rocker's daughter's name... she's my baby too :blush:</font>

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
<font color='#FF0000'>Ohhh.. Starla. How pretty.. and very unique!
All my car's names have been pretty generic. *L* Lil Red, Big Red and now Rosie.  :blush:  :D</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>Flame: You're welcome, I'm glad I was able to help!  Starla is a beautiful name, and it sounds familiar, if I remember hard enough I'll be able to remember who's daughter it was...  My baby doesn't have a name and it's been 2 years!  I just call her baby, and occasinally Velvet or Bullet
 I understand about reading, but feel free to drop a line anytime in Off Topic, let us know how things are going.  Do you have any plans for mods or anything?  Maybe you have them already done?  We'd like to see some pics if you have some  :thumbsup:</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Meryem13@Oct. 24 2003,4:04
<font color='#000000'>Flame: You're welcome, I'm glad I was able to help!  Starla is a beautiful name, and it sounds familiar, if I remember hard enough I'll be able to remember who's daughter it was...  My baby doesn't have a name and it's been 2 years!  I just call her baby, and occasinally Velvet or Bullet
 I understand about reading, but feel free to drop a line anytime in Off Topic, let us know how things are going.  Do you have any plans for mods or anything?  Maybe you have them already done?  We'd like to see some pics if you have some  
</font>
<font color='#000000'>Oops, I meant to reply back like last week... got caught up with life
o: Hah, Velvet and Bullet sounds fine to me... I decided to name my car to make my car more meaningful to me. I haven't any plans for mods yet, nor do I already have them done. Perhaps you like like to give some suggestions? Anyone with something on their mind, just drop a line so I can take them into consideration. I'm on a tight budget, sort of (I just bought a brand new guitar). I've been meaning to take pics of my car... but since my car is stock, for the exception of lowered springs, I figured you could just find one online that's blue :grin:  The only thing that's worth taking pics of is the interior... I've got painted air vents and panels, in the color of metallic blue, I love it.
</font>

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
<font color='#FF0000'>Paint some blue on those calipers! that'll look hot. I candy coated mine toyota red. It looks great.  :blush:  Thats cheap... also, you could maybe find some used euro lights. I bought mine used for only 75 bucks!!  :grin:</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>Wish: Ha ha, very funny, MY CAR of course!!! I don't have any kids so my car is my baby right now, hence the name

Flame:  Luv's right, paint your calipers!  It's cheap and easy, you just need a high-heat paint (1200+ degrees) to make sure it doesn't flake off or burn... I got some that I'm gonna use on my engine plastics and calipers from Autozone, but Luv got hers from Toyota to match the red of her car.  I don't know if it's high heat though...  But I didn't care about the color so much since my car's black and I'm doing things in red, they don't have to match the outside of the car...
The basics are an cold air intake and catback exhaust, they'll be the cheapest mods you can do, but still a few hundred each.  Price will also depend on the brand, for intakes Injen and AEM are the most expensive but also the most well known and the ones with the highest gains.  Exhaust-wise, you can get the TRD exhaust, Greddy is also popular and there's another one I can't remember.  TRD is the most expensive, mines a cheap one, but if I can get enough cash I'll upgrade to TRD probably.  I have an Injen Racing Division CAI and a Vibrant Performance Type-V catback.  I think I might get a ecu upgrade next...  Performance-wise the most expensive thing would be a Turbocharger ($4,000-$5,000 for the new kits) unless you can find someone who knows how to put them together and then it'll only run you about a a grand.

Visual is easier to do, you can get white guages (indiglo or reverse glow), euro tails, engine dress-up kits, paint more of your interior, get colored pedals, clear corners, tint on the windows, etc... They also have kits to change the color of your needles if you don't like the orange (though some people just sand them down and and use a sharpie marker, but they have special LED kits if you want them to glow, I got a red kit but havn't installed it yet), and you can also change the color of the LCD screen in your guages cluster and the color of the bulbs in your cigarette lighter and temp/vent control if you don't want the green.  I did my cig lighter and temp/vent control bulbs in red but didn't get to do the LCD yet cuz I'm gonna do it at the same time I change my gauges from indiglo to reverse glow.  Visually the most expensive mods would be rims and a bodykit or lamborghini doors. (I need to save more money
)

What about sound, are you going to get a system?  Sub/ amp?  Speaker upgrade, head unit?  Anything??

Luv: Good idea!  We gotta help this guy hook up his car
</font>

·
Registered
57 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hmm, and here I thought my '90 ST would be higher revving than the 6-spds. at the same speed.  I do 3k RPM at 60-65 in 5th though, so I suppose not.</font>

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
<font color='#FF0000'>yeah but one thing to take into consideration... the 7th gen 6 speeds don't redline until 7,800 rpm's.</font>

1 - 20 of 22 Posts