Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to change the color of my interior to match the theme of my new paint job..  how would i go about repainting the vinyl in my car?   is there any special method?  do i have to take it off piece by piece or do i just apply the new color while sitting ine car?  what tools would i need?  thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
I recommend Molecubond. I've used this a couple times to restore my door panels and other various parts when they started to fade. It's just like spray paint, but it says it penetrates and bonds to the molecules, hence the name Molecubond. It also dries pretty fast...
I originally bought it because I was told that guy who restores classic cars comes in and buys it by the case...
You can find it at PepBoys and, I'd imagine, most other autoparts stores, or you can buy it online at http://www.bryndana.com/.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
both the fabric and the vinyl dash... if possible!  thanks for your recommendation celicafan.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
ok here is what i did i have a 1990.. i took the vents all out, took the top vent out, took the piece around the radio out, took out the front piece of the gauges.. took out the clock assembly, took out the piece around the shifter, took out the piece that the power window switch is hooked up to and i think thats it... well i took the vents outta the piece that they go into.. i cant remmember exactly how but once u get the casing out you will be able to look at it and see how they come out.. you will also have to take the clock out of the assembly so u dont get paint on that. then i wiped everything down with alcohal and painted all the pieces let them dry over night..as far as fabric went i started with the doors and removed the fabric on the door (by the arm rest) this is just glued.. i removed that and replaced it with vinal, i also took out the shift boot cut the seam on that and used the piece to cut the right size piece of vynal. i did that and you will also need the metal casing in the bottom of the old boot. that keeps it in place.. so made that out of the same color vynal then i did the same thing for the sun visors, and .. i cant remmember what its called lol but the roof pretty much.. tools needed is paint, vynal, something to pop out the pieces.. some people do it with a flat head screw driver... u will need some good spray on glue... dont get cheap glue cause vynal is heavy and it will fall off, phillips screw driver, alcohal, paper towels, needle and thread.. hole project took me about 6-8 hours without including the time to wait for the paint to dry..also dont get cheap paint... and a clear coat is also always nice..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thank you very much for all the information.. hehe now i just have to be brave enough to mess around with my car..

i'm actually doing the exterior paint with my dad so i hope it turns out well...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts