Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some feedback. I have a 2000 GTS. I have 300,000 miles on it and need a new clutch. Which brings me to my issue. Since I started driving in the City I have developed the 'Oil' problem. Going through a quart about every 600 miles. I am trying to decide between dropping a crate engine in it or rebuilding the existing engine and transmission. My mechanic prefers rebuilding since everything is original and would like to keep matching serial numbers to keep potential collector value. Price difference is around 2000. Though to quantify that he will be going through everything and fixing everything that needs done. I have one brake not working well, catalytic converter if necessary, syncro's failing on 4th and 5th on down shift, etc.

·
Super Moderator
1,063 Posts
I've heard a lot of rebuild horror stories on here over the years. Just make sure that they know what they are doing and how to work on an engine such as this. The 2zz is a rather precise engine and can't take any errors in assembly or even break-in procedure. If you really trust them, I'd also lean towards a rebuild as opposed to buying a random used engine. That $2k difference is significant however, so it's a tough choice. If you have cylinder wear issues, don't even think about a rebuild unless you buy a new short block. The 2zz cannot be bored or honed and must be re-sleeved if there are cylinder lining issues, however it seems that almost no one knows how to do this properly. Another advantage to a rebuild is that you can spec the parts you want depending on your intended use. For example, a lot of 2zz's have died from over reving the engine and blowing up the oil pump. If you rebuild, you can put an MWR billet oil pump in and protect yourself from that problem. Either way I'd also put a Moroso oil pan in, as oil starvation from oil pickup issues has also killed many 2zz's.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually have the 1zz engine. We are well into the rebuild. He was aware of the aluminum head and the process used to harden the cylinders. Apparently this process was only used by Porsche and Lotus. I didn't know that part (not that I should have). He says the cylinders can not be sleeved. I will let him know about the oil pump and pan. I have not had any problems with them but now is a good time to replace in any event. Thank you very much for insights. Very appreciated. He also is concerned about a proper break-in. He will be breaking in the first 50 miles and changing the oil before I get it back. Then will change it again at 500 miles at which point he said I could put synthetic oil back in. Hopefully it works out. I will let you know.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, update. The car is finely done. I am hopelessly in love with my car all over again! I had no idea how tired it was until I got it back all fixed up. I almost have to relearn how to drive again. Much peppier and I am kinda having an adjustment on startup not squealing the front tire. The fuel mileage has improved to 35 mpg even before completing the break in. Super super happy with the results. Due to all the shutdowns it was difficult to get some parts. There were a few minor set backs. My mechanic sublet the rebuilding to people he trusted. That turned out well except they didn't replace the intake cam phaser and the old one failed almost immediately. The new timing tensioner failed (new parts do fail from time to time). Light Force you are correct I did have the 2ZZ. I also apparently had a 6-speed, not the 5-speed I thought I had. It did not show it on the shifter. I guess I'm weird that I didn't try to shift where there was no reason to think I could. It was definitely good entertainment for myself and everyone else when I learned that I have been driving the car for 15 years and never shifted into 6th! Too funny. Final cost was just over $12K. That included engine and transmission complete rebuild, brake system completely gone through and replaced where needed including master cylinder, repairing where needed on the exhaust system, and servicing the A/C. I am extremely pleased with the choice to rebuild. Now to save to get it painted!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts