Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just recently changed both front and rear struts with kyb excel-g struts on 1993 Celica Coupe 2.2litre Auto. and bottoms out at rear when going over even small potholes on road. This occurred before with the old struts, but they were stuffed. Plenty of knocking sounds on left side rear under normal driving conditions. I would appreciate any one out there who has had the same experience or has some idea on what else needs doing. Thanks guys

·
Registered
12 Posts
I get this with the fronts on my 92 GT-Four. I have a set of KYB Excel-Gs on hand. Thinking it through myself.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Springs are shot. The stick absorber eliminates the bounce and the spring limits the travel.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah that makes sense. I have a set of KYB Excel-Gs front and back, ready to install.

From what you’re saying I need the springs too? Almost certain, but: Front and back? Any thoughts on brand? OEM? Pardon me I’m still a bit of a rookie at this. I’ll pay it forward.

·
Registered
344 Posts
You can lookup part num on toyodiy.com and then do a internet search.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys for your replies, I just got the car back from inspection and the mechanics are saying that its the front struts that are bottoming out not rears and bushings at rear need replacing to eliminate knocking. The fronts are only really shock absorber inserts and car going in on tuesday to installers to see whether they have failed under warranty. Front engine mount is also going to be replaced. Cars only done 175000 km, engine and gearbox excellent just suspension parts failing. Wear can be contributed to age of vehicle, rubber perishing etc. Will keep you posted, but it seems that these probs are quite normal with the celicas of this vintage. Thanks guys

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi, Thanks RORERI...My celicas front end was also like yours, knocking, even after new struts. New front engine mount and new left side CV joint has now eliminated the knocking and also not bottoming out any more. Have to now work out the weird howling at times , front Exhaust shield, maybe? The car is almost as big a challenge as working out a woman. In fact my wife said to me "why are you spending money on an old car ". My reply " I spend money on an old woman dont I" was swift but it shut her up ...for now at least.Your car looks awesome. Best wishes and have fun. Regards, Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts