Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the following on another message board...this is definitely a must read....

This is from dsmtalk.com a guy on there thought this story should be shared with as many people as it could be. Well here it goes.

good reason NOT to race....
last night i was out with my cousin and some friends and we were eating outside of a fast food resaurant at like 1 in the morning. we finished eating so we took off. i pulled out first and then was followed by my cousin in an accord, and my friend in a sonoma. i civic si pulled up next to me as soon as we got on the road. we drove for only 10 seconds before the civic si threw some small revs at me. like an idiot....i feel for them. he turned left onto a bigger road and we followed. all this was on camera btw. i pulled up next to him and he downshifted up a hill and floored it. i matched him and took off. i pulled ahead of him, and only let off to go through an intersection with a few cars, but the light was green. after the light we took off again, exceeding speeds of 110 mph. the road started to go down hill with some right turn bends. we slowed down some, but not enough. we went around the first turn hard, and kept going, at the second and last bend before a long straight away, the road got a little bit bumpy and i lost control....i 360'd and caught enough of my rear view to see the civic flipping and rolling, sparking, hitting the side barrier, boucing all over the road. at that point i straightened out, locked them up and slammed into the curb head up into the center island. i blew my left front tire. i reversed down the island, pulled off to the right of the road, parked, and ran back the 500 feet to the civic. the car was completely totalled, the engine bay was on fire, the wheels were all bent in underneath the car, and the driver was ejected out of the car and his arm was wrapped tight as hell by the seat belt. he was bleeding like crazy from his shin, thats all i could tell b/c it was dark. his girlfriend was already out of the car and was screaming hysterically. i ran back to my car to get some wire cutters to cut the seat belt but it didn't work, so my cousing grabbed a box cutter from his car and cut the seat belt off. i pulled the guy up, rand back to my car to put my tools back. my cousin called the cops, i ran back to the civic to tell them help was on the way. the driver was completely out of it. both airbags opened, all windows except the back left windows were broken. the driver slammed his head into the windshield. he asked me to help him of the wall so i picked him up and layed him down. now i could tell he was bleeding from his face, head, and his shin. i got blood all over my clothes from his leg. i have never seen something bleed so bad. his jeans were completely soaked. when the cops, paramedics, and fire fighters showed up, they cut his jeans revealing a 6 inch long by 4 inch long gash on his shin, all the way to the bone...they actually had to pull that part of his flesh off. i ended up telling the cops what really happened, and the sergeant pulled me aside and told me himself that he wasn't gonna arrest me, nor was i gonna be arrested at any point, and it just makes it easier when someone tells the truth. he told me used to be a kid, had a fast car, blah blah blah. he actually did compliment my car though, saying i shouldn't have been racing the civc, as my car is a "real sports car" and the civic can't handle driving like that and some other small talk. all of that lasted for about 3 hours. my cousing followed me home and we watched the video. the video (were working on getting it on here) shows when the civic flipped. it actually blew up...literally...twice. just shows me reversing from off the center island. but hopefully, this will convince some of you guys not to street race. thought i'd never say it.

Update
hey guys...i appreciate those of you who are glad the other driver as well as myself are ok. i know racing was stupid...i remember my mom telling me when i was little, that sometime you have to hit your head really hard to realize theres a wall in front of you. i didn't hit my head really hard, but i hit it hard enough. street racing is stupid...in my opinion. i also appreciate the people who really stated what they felt...i know a lot of you guys think i'm an idiot. i probably let a bunch of people down...some of you guys on the boards, my family, my friends, co-workers. again...i appreciate all the responses to the posts...i don't think theres anything wrong with keeping eachother safe, and as long as we keep that in mind on all these posts, everything is A o.k. aside from that....i'm gonna go visit the guy in the hospital tomorrow hopefully...and i'm working on getting the video on here. for those of you who still are gonna street race, hopefully the video (the civic actually blew up) will change your mind. for the time being...i wrote a 5/26/02 (happened sunday night) on a piece of paper and put it on my tach to remind me.

ANOTHER UPDATE...
i got a hold of the hospital and they told me the kid was in the icu. i talked to his dad and he told me they're amputating his leg from 2 inches below his knee. thats the bad news...the good news was: the doctors told the kid, as well as his parents and the cops/paramedics that if i didn't pull over, didn't call the cops etc...he wouldn't have made it, for sure...he lost a lot of blood, and would've bled to death. so he thanked me for pulling over, getting him out of the seatbelt and all that stuff. he told me hes glad he gets to watch his son rehabilitate as opposed to seeing him in a casket. he thanked me for "saving his life." i still can't help but feel guilty...but we're meeting sometime this upcoming week. cool guy...wasn't mad at all. he made sure i knew i did what was morally right

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
man... good post, sometimes we race and get pulled over and then get all mad that we were caught, but never think... what if we wernt caught, what would of ended the race???? as you found out what ends a street race. I am happy you are ok, and its a shame the civic guy has to live the rest of his life with only one leg. I would like to see the video, ill keep my eyes open for it.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
wait i now see that that wasnt you in the race but another person, well i guess the same goes out to him....

·
Registered
289 Posts
This very thing is exactly why i truly enjoy the car club i am a part of, as it clearly states in our rules and regs that if you are to street race you are banned from the club and the lot. This has really helped to curb my urge to street race and there are plenty of imports in this little town. Infact just a month ago a new car club appeard they call them seves Nortorious AOR (all out racing). They got the bright idea to go cruzin around town on the highway as well as local city streets, they got the bright idea to street race right behind one of the two high schools here. Long story short two of the drivers were smart and stayed put when the cops rolled up and jumped out guns drawn. The third guy had just bought his civic 2 days prior and freaked out and took off leading the police in access of 100mph clocked by police through city streets for 45 mins before going into a set of 3 S bend corners that are very tight, down hill and rated at 25mph, going over 60mph through the first S corners slowing down to 50 into the second only to get squirly and kick the rear end out with no time to recover hitting an embankment at a 45 degree angle flipping his car on to the roof and sliding 60 feet. The thing that really got me about this guy is he led the police right by my house! There are alot of little kids in the neihberhood. Not to mention he did kill 2 cats/ family pets in the pursuit. If i race i do so at the local track thats what its there for!

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Street racing is pure darwinism. Personally, I never race until I've had several glasses of wild turkey and some hits of black hashish, at least then I know it was my fault for sure

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
WHAMMO! meet the sausage monster

·
Registered
65 Posts
wow thats deep. I street race sometimes but I never do anything I know I can't do..... but now I will think twice about racing.... especially a civic

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
QUOTE (Zach @ Aug 15 2008, 01:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=171173
wtf? you're on some crack andrew.[/B]
No.3- Have no small wrecks. If you are going to loop out & hit something, hit it hard. Never mind that old-school Physics bull**** about the Irresistable Force & the Immoveable Object. The main rule of the Highway is that Some Objects are More Moveable than Others. In most cases, the car going fastest sustains less damage than the slower moving vehicle.
A Small Wreck is almost always both Costly and Embarassing. I talked to a man tonight who said he had been demoted from Headwaiter to Salad Boy when he had a small wreck in the restaurant's parking lot and lost all respect from his fellow workers. "They laughed at me and called me an ***," he said. "I should have hit the ****er at seventy-five instead of just five," he whined. "It cost me $6,800 anyway. I would have been maitre d' by now if I'd screwed on it & just Mashed the bastard. These turds have made me an outcast."

·
Registered
349 Posts
LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts