Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#0000FF'>hey guys...

i gatta major problem. my 87 celica gt is slowly dying. my car has a problem that i cant find whats causing it. it has like 0 pickup and have replaced almost everything under the hood except the distributer cap, which is on the way. does anybody have any info about this situation?</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
<font color='#000000'>add gas?

is the car sputtering, or does it just not accelerate?  have you replaced the maf?</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
<font color='#000000'>pretty difficult to diagnose a problem when the only description is "my car is slow."

what have you changed?</font>

·
Registered
56 Posts
<font color='#000000'>you know, I have the same problem with my 87 celica gt too. He just keeps getting slower. I try and keep as much gas in there as possible, and the rev. limiter at 4 grand isnt helping. I dunno what the deal is, but yeah it makes me mad when I cant get the speed I want. Maybe he's just tired. Ya know he is 17 years old now. Well good luck with your car buddy, I can definitely feel you on that.  :down:</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>I would never have thought about the e-brake... though I doubt that is it.  Have you ever heard about that happening on a car before Jani?  Plus IF they are autos, auto-drivers tend to not use the e-brake very much, whereas manual drivers use them ALL the time.</font>

·
Registered
780 Posts
<font color='#0000FF'>well i had a prob. like theres with my 5th gen (rip)  :(  it would feel like tis lossing power like wheni would go out at night then the next day i would look over every thing i would always clean the filter and add oil if not change it out and add some oct booster and cheak over the hoses and i would tighten the throttle cable or lossen it ( if you got it tight it give better reponse
so i suget just lookin it over and dont tune ups</font>

·
Registered
40 Posts
<font color='#000000'>i got a few ideas for you one is what do you want out of your car if your planing on racking up the mods just let you car slowly die and save up for a swap i sugest the 3sge wich is form a 86-89 gts its chep and packs a punch i think its nyblock.com that has j-spec ones for 650 deliverd to anywere in canada and i live in wi usa and they told me 575 wich is not bad sene that might be how much it will cost to fix what ever is wrong with your car.....

now for some things that might just fix it

chek the fule system=
all new fule system like spark plugs,wires,pump, fule ingectors and fule rail or you could buy a fule injector cleaner and see if that helps or take it in and have a shop do a injector clening

cluch?
might be the prob it was the first thing that went in my head when you said you exelarate and have a loss of power it may be sliping so it might need to be relpaced
if you do that i sugest buying a stage one racing cluch there built stonger and cost an extra 50$-75$ on avrage  its worth it

now for bad news
craked head or gasket now this would suck
you can chek this by seeing if there is h2o in the oil (it will look carmaly)
from exp in a dsm it will smell like carmel

good news if you car is not overheating you dont have to worry about a craked head or gasket or normaly any major internal engine problem

my gess bad fule system or bad cluch cost to fix aproxamitly 300-550

but you might get lucky with a cleaning and tune up at a shop
only 80$ in my home town

ps sorry about typos but i hope i helped or atlest gave you a direction</font>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts