Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#FF0000'>well right now my car is in the shop at 'Toyota Techs' who specialize in toyotas (obviously). Well it took damn near 3 days for them to change my 4 bent vales. Two exhaust valves were severely bent and two intake valves were "knicked". They said that the exhaust valves were bent so badly that my car has been running on only 3 cylinders and I can tell that by the way it starts. (when you start her she does the EeeerrrrErrrrrrrr crap like she's trying to start but is having trouble). So anyways, they changed the valves and put the head back on then I called them and they said something else is wrong b/c she's still not starting right.... still running on 3 cly's. They don't know whats wrong. At first they thought it might be a piston ring but no b/c she's not blowing out smoke or anything. He said that he'd take off the head and go back in there to find out. I said 'oh, more money then?' and he said no...

keep in mind I don't have any warranties and Meryem just discovered there might be a possible recall on the fuel injectors on the '00 gt-s. would possible faulty fuel injectors be involved in my problems?

ugh. I dunno. Do you guys have any ideas why she's still running on only 3 cly's after having the messed up valves changed? I really hope they're not screwing me over. They seemed like really nice and knowlageable guys.. There are only two of them.... self employed I guess. I just hope they're being truthful.  :down:</font>

·
Registered
51 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Dunno, My dads booneville did that once, but it was just a simple spark plug and wire issue.  He replaced the plugs and wires and put sleeves on the wires and everything was gravy after that.  It is a pontiac though.,....</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>Poor Rosie, being all stubborn and not getting fixed!

The TSB (technical service bulletin) is only for the 2000 gt-s.  Supposedly under certain driving conditions the engine light goes off and shows misfire codes P0300 (random misfire) and P03? (single cylinder misfire).  Supposedly the ecm logic and fuel injectors have been modified.  
Now this was a recall only on the 2000.  Luv's is a 2000 but she doesn't have warranty since she didn't get it from the dealer so she also wouldn't get a recall notice probably.
Mines a 2001 and I'm wondering since I'm having engine light troubles too whether even though I may not have had a recall on mine, there could be a possibility that I have the same problem?  If it happened before it could happen again...

Here's the link if you wanna check it out  It under Technical Service Bulletins - Check engine light.</font>

·
Registered
224 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I dont know.  It could be sparks or injectors.  Doubtfull tho.  Still loosinf compression in one cylinder.  I want to say timming but it couldnt since it is a t a shop they must ahve timed it.  I bet it could be a spark plug problem based on teh poor start.  I am not sure.  Sorry cant be of much help.  I would have them run a sompression test again if they havent already and then let us know the results.</font>

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font color='#FF0000'>for all who are interested I'm FINALLY, after 8 days getting my car back tomorrow... I e-mailed jhull last night to ask him why my car was still only running on 3 clyinders after changing the valves and he gave me the correct answer. All hail King Jhull! yay.

Here's what jhull said and what the techs did....

well the only way to know if its only running on three cylinders is through a compression check, which im assuming they did, from there you can do a wet compression test (which will distiguish if the problem is in the top end or bottom end...) they will probrolly skip this and just tear it down, but anyway what all was replaced while it was apart? just the valves? was the head machined? if the valves were bent chances are the valve guides are shot and the valve seats most likely need work. I never seen a head that had bent valves and didnt need machining.... im gonna go on that and say thats the issue cause im betting they didnt have and head work done. also check into the piston if a valve isnt closing all the way when the piston comes up it slams into it. over and over again starts to leave a nice mark. seen some pistons with holes from this..dont get all upset intill they find the issue, you telling me the cylinder is down could mean one of two things, either its not getting spark or fuel which will make it a dead cylinder, or its not getting compression which makes it a bad cylinder. Im assuming you are talking about a bad cylinder with no compression. If they didnt do the job right the first time dont let them charge you to take it back apart. that head should of been machined ect... if they didnt do it trying to cut corners or saveing some extra
dollars then thats there fault...

Cost of 4 new valves: $100
Cost of total job including labor: $1,275
Knowing that I have my precious baby back and will never let another human being unless they are a toyota tech drive my car: $PRICELESS$

Lil Boys shouldn't play with womens toys.
:grin:</font>

·
Registered
8,914 Posts
<font color='#8D38C9'>
--> Jhull

Woot for Rosie getting fixed!!!

SO they didn't run a compression check and her pistons wern't working properly?  Good thing we have Jhull to let us know what needs to be done and how not to get ripped off.  I'll probably need some info later when I find out what's wrong with my light...

Give Rosie a hug for me when you get her back

Cost of 4 new valves: $100
Cost of total job including labor: $1,275
Knowing that I have my precious baby back and will never let another human being unless they are a toyota tech drive my car: $PRICELESS$

Lil Boys shouldn't play with womens toys.[/B]
:laugh:  HELL YEAH!  
</font>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts