Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>I was wondering what exhaust i should get for my 1982 celica XT. I want looks, more power and i want it to be (legally) loud.
What do i get? and possibly how much?</font>

·
Registered
412 Posts
<font color='#000000'>your nearest parts plus store should sell big mouth exhaust, which is street legal and is loud as ####. and most of those will cost you about $100 or $120 where as the name branded exhaust will be more expensive.</font>

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<font color='#000000'>What about piping? 2 1/4"?
will piping from the manifold straight throught to a big muffler work?</font>

·
Registered
412 Posts
<font color='#000000'>if you take it to an exhaust shop to put the muffler on they should either widen the muffler entry or tighten it, so you have nothin to worry about there, they will make it fit one way or another.</font>

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font color='#000000'>Itsn't it better to have bigger piping for better flow and more power? plus they take off the 2 mufflers which would shorten the length of piping.</font>

·
Registered
11 Posts
<font color='#000000'>In the domestic world of street racing and power, bigger is generally better.  But being we're importers, it's more of a science you need back pressure to propell you forward and to large of piping will lose you that back pressure, where you'll be REALLY fast till about 10 - 15 mph.  We made this mistake with an old 240sx I had, we had 3 inch exhaust ... it was great getting to 20 mph but from 20 mph - 50 was like going 100 - 120.  Figure out which pipe will give you the best back pressure, most exhaust companies that make a system for your car will already of figured it out.  Or if you ask a custom shop they'll figure it out generally.  Lots of math in the import scene, domestic cars you can pretty much guess and check cause they have cheap parts ...  :devil:

hope that helps a bit :upside:</font>

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<font color='#000000'>this is what i have been quoted

A  2 1/4" Sports System:

1. Lukey Performance Sports Muffler
2. 2 1/4"  Pipework from Manifold Back

for $220.00</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts