Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bougtt a 1991 Celica GT Convertible as a slight project car. It doesn't have a ton wrong with it. However, it has a parasitic draw. I have some knowledge of how to trace this but have run into a sticking point. The charging system draws roughly 14V all the time. When I pull the 100amp charging system fuse in main box draw goes to 0. I pulled every fuse both under the hood and in the car. This is the only fuse that has any effect. I tried disconnecting both the wiring harness and ground to the alternator and that made no change. Suggestions?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Have you checked small light bulbs like in the glove box? Door panels? trunk etc.
Look on the bright side. at least your 91 GT convertible is running. Mine is still in the shop with a no start issue :cry:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
278k miles runs great. I've check trunk and doors but not glove box. Also has aftermarket stereo i need to rip out and replace and will wiring there also.

·
Registered
272 Posts
You need an amp meter to do parasitic testing. Volts will remain consistent no matter the number of components drawing on the battery.

Each component draws a different amount of energy (at the same volts) which is measured in amps.

Connect an amp meter with a rating in the 10A range in between the battery and the positive cable. Then start pulling fuses (small ones first) to see which component circuit is contributing to amp draw. Mark them down accordingly. Keep pulling until at 0 amps. Then stay tracing the largest draws.

You won't get to 0 until the ecu, clock, radio are pulled as these each have a bit of draw.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Used a multimeter on 10A DC. Current draw is roughly 12. Pulled every fuse in the 2 fuses boxes under the hood, all fuses on drivers side fuse box and all fuses on passenger side. No change in draw. Where else to look? Or am I searching wrong?

Method. Negative battery terminal disconnected. Multimeter hooded between negative battery terminal and negative lead wire.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Should be using the meter on the positive side.

Also, the starter and alternator primary wire are connected directly to the battery without a fuse. Try those as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Should be using the meter on the positive side.

Also, the starter and alternator primary wire are connected directly to the battery without a fuse. Try those as well.
Unfortunately no luck. I reversed my meter, although I don't think it makes a difference as long as the circuit is being completed. Pull all the fuses under the hood, under the steeling wheel and under the glow box as well as the 2 alternator connections and starter connections. Still pulling a full load of roughly 13 volts to something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts