Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>I'm painting my car and putting flames on the front of it, but what I don't know is how to properly mask off the flames. I can easily draw flames on paper and cut them out , but how do you get the stencil to stick to the body panel well enough to where no paint gets anywhere else?</font>

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
<font color='#000000'>unless you don't mind your car not looking like ass, i would really suggest taking your car to a body shop to get painted.  if you don't know how to mask, you really shouldn't be painting.</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font color='#000000'>go to a body shop supply store,they sell flame stencils,or you could free hand draw it on your primer with chalk,come back with the thin masking tape,1/2 to 1/4 inch i think,and put it on the inside of your chalk line.the thin mask tape will conform to the curves with minimal destortion,and you can wash the chalk off when you are done.after you get the flames taped out with the thin,come back with the thick stuff and paper.cut the paper to fit with a razor as you go.DO NOT CUT INTO PAINT!scratch what i said about the chalk on primer,you should put your base coat down first,then get chalk that will stand out.Just remeber you will need to feather the edge of the flames to get a smooth transfer from color to color.
just my 2 cent</font>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts