Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've recently purchased a 2003 Matrix XRS with the 2ZZ with just under 170,000 miles on it. It's an automatic. Car ran brilliantly until the CEL came on during harder acceleration. I was assured this was the result of a "leaky gas cap" which was promptly replaced and code cleared, however light came back on at about 6k rpm and an oil sensor was replaced. However, no luck, light came back on, valves won't open. I then had my mechanic replace both camshaft adjuster solenoids, but no luck. He said he cleaned out the oil screens as well, so I'm not really sure where to go from here. Valves still won't open, and CEL comes on like clockwork at 6k rpm. My mechanic said, that's just the way it's going to be and that it's delicate and not to push it, but I feel a 0-30 should not warrant a CEL, and I drive pretty conservatively for the most part. I'm kinda at a loss as to what to do next, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Cole

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hmmmm. First thing I would do is look for a different mechanic. The car wasn't "delicate" when it came off the showroom floor and additional years unlike wine don't add to "delicate".
Have you checked vacuum sensors and lines. Does it run good even thought the CEL is on? Searching the net and it looks like Honda has an issue like this also at around 5k rpm. Might want to google around some Honda sites to see if those guys have found any solutions.
Sorry I can't be of any help but if you post any solutions it would be good info to pass along.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm. First thing I would do is look for a different mechanic. The car wasn't "delicate" when it came off the showroom floor and additional years unlike wine don't add to "delicate".
Have you checked vacuum sensors and lines. Does it run good even thought the CEL is on? Searching the net and it looks like Honda has an issue like this also at around 5k rpm. Might want to google around some Honda sites to see if those guys have found any solutions.
Sorry I can't be of any help but if you post any solutions it would be good info to pass along.
So I’m thinking of checking the ocv switch. It was also brought to my attention that there are two oil screens, my mechanic said it was cleaned but didn’t mention if he did both. Other than the CEL and obviously no lift, engine runs like new. I’ll post any updates as I find out. Anyone have any experience with Toyota dealerships being able to diagnose their cars? I know it’s expensive but I would like a solid diagnosis so then I can fix it myself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts