Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv'e had a oil leak from the oil pump gasket and shaft seal.Iv'e had a garage replace the oil pump seal and cam belt kit etc.The oil leak has returned and I think it's still coming from the gasket on the oil pump housing to block.
I understand to replace this gasket the gearbox,sump has to be removed ? Is this correct ?
Is there a garage/mechanic in the Birmingham UK area who would tackle this job.
The garage informed me it's too big a job for them.They will take another look in a weeks time to see if its the seal.
I don't want to sell the car as it is still a great car.
I would be grateful for any advice/help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I did my timing belt a couple years ago, I got carried away and replaced the oil pump with a brand new one. Found out later on that I did NOT need to, but it was my first "big" to-do on the car and I figured, "why not".

Anyhoo, to replace the oil pump, you have to take off the timing belt (obviously), oil pan, and center member (being sure to support the engine from up top). Take off the oil filter baffle (2 or 3 fasteners) and you'll then be able to take off the pump. There's just a couple fasteners holding the pump to the block. Make sure they're torqued appropriately when you reinstall (inch-lbs, NOT ft-lbs).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Pandito
Many thanks for your reply,much appreciated.Ive spoke to the garage who didn't want to do the job as he thought the car was a import according to licence plate.He has looked further and the job is 3.5hrs which seems about right.I dont have the facilities or time to do big jobs anymore so I give these jobs to garages. I'll let you know progress.
The oil pump seal has been replaced but still have leak,suspect from gasket.👍

1 - 3 of 3 Posts