Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks
I'm looking for someone who can tell me how the repair a oil leak my son's car has which is coming from the distributor. He has a 1991 celica GT. I thought the leak came from the valve cover gasket, but I pinpointed to the distributor. I replaced the O ring, but oil is still getting inside. I have no idea how the oil gets in there since there is no hole in the shaft that allows that, but does anybody had this problem before. How can I fix it wothout changing the distributor. Thanks

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
theres a seal on the inside of the dizzy it goes around the shaft you have to remove the shaft to access it. its not much fun.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Damn....just go to a salvageyard and try to get one from another celica and if it's the 5SFE the one off of the 3SFE will work if the coil is seprate from the dizzy

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jhull
Do I need a special tool to remove the shaft? Timewise how long do you estimate this job will take. Is the seal a rubber O ring and is it something that has to be special ordered.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
the shaft i believe has a pressed fit pin, you need to remove the dizzy from the car and on the end of the shaft you will see the "gear" that should have a pin holding it on the shaft you remove that pin with a punch then the shaft will push out. you might have to gut the insides of the dizzy to work on it, if you can do it without taking the pickups out then great, if you have to remove them when you put them back in you have to measure the clearance and adjust them to where they need to be. I would call the dealer and order the seal before getting all into the project i doubt they would stock it.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info. I think I can do the job. I have the chilton book just in case. I just like to fix stuff myself rather than buying/replacing the components. It gives me a sense of pride and the learnig along the way.
Thanks

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay folks, finally I bought another used distributor. Unfortunately it also leaks. I started to dissasemble the one off the car. Took the pin and the gear off (ouch hit my thumb). Removed the crews off the magnetic coil, but the shaff doesn't come off. What else do I need to loose. Is there a pin or something holding the shaft and the housing together? My son left the car in my driveway and went on vacation so now it's my time to get it fixed. Thanks in advance for the help.
JR

·
Registered
3 Posts
It has been a while, but where did you find the internal shaft oil seal for the distributor? Toyota says they don't sell it.
These guys sell a kit, but I ran across some bad reviews, although, I don't know whether I can trust those few reviews or not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts