Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>I am 17, so money is an issue on my car. I recently got my rear bald tires replaced and rotated so my new tires are in the front and the older but still good ones are in the back. The problem is the tire store didnt have my old size tire, and when they found out they did it was already too late and they were 2.5 times as much money. My parents helped me buy my new ones, but they are larger by an inch or so and a much cheaper brand. Since then I have noticed my gas mileage went down, and my car doesn't feel quite as fast. I was wondering if the new tires could make my car perform more poorly, or if they just do more distance per rotation so my odometer and spedometer are off. I like the size of the new tires better, they look good compared to the dinky ones that come standard, so i was wondering if it would be worth it to get matching ones in the back (my parents wont help me buy them this time), or if i should go back to the regular size. Just give me your opinion or any information u have. Thanks

My old tires (back, smaller) are Sportmaster GLT 's, and they say 165/70R13. The new ones are Daytons, and they say P165/80R13</font>

·
Registered
563 Posts
<font color='#000000'>what sort of ceil do you have, that seems a danmed small tyre to put on a  celi.

also a tyre w/ a  80 profile ratio ? geeze that would have heaps of flex in it not great handling, are you sure thats the correct size to start w/ esp the 13" rims.

red, jhull mrj ? someone correct me if im wrong but i didnt think any celi's came with <14" ? at least not any i can rember from around here.

i would have expected more of a 185/65/14 tyre or there abouts.</font>

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font color='#000000'>I have no clue what the tire sizes mean. All i know is that the smaller tires came on it when i bought it from a guy, and i thought they looked really small. Are the new tires poor performance? What should i do? thanks</font>

·
Registered
563 Posts
<font color='#000000'>what year is the car ?

165 is the width in millimeters

80 is the ration between the width and the profile (sidewall height)

and the r13 is the rim size in inches.

normally an older celi would have say a 185/65/r14

whihc is a lower profile tyre than what you have (80) so what i amagine has happened is that the person who owned it has taken the 14" mags off it and taken them and jemmed 13" steel wheels on there and just put a higher profile tyre on it so you get the same rolling diameter whihc wont se your speedo/odometer out. but it will hamper your handling the higher tyre means more flax so you wont get as stable cornering.

rember that those four patches of rubber are the difference between you going around a corner ok and wrapping it around a tree so good tyres are a smart investment.

what id look at doing would be keeping the bucks up and jemming  a set of 17 or 16" mags on there with some decent tyres but a 13" with a 80 profile tyre is just way too small for that car and only 165 again is too small you wont be able to put much power to the ground w/o them slipping.</font>

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font color='#000000'>Alright thanks for the advice but i was still wondering if the new tires i got for it, not that the previous owner put on it would mess up my spedometer or actual gas mileage. also, its a 1990 celica st and im not looking to dropping money into it for 16 or 17 inch rims. i only paid 2100 for the car. I was really wondering if it would be worth it for looks and performance to put the same size tires on the front and back, and also if i should go with the smaller or larger size. Thanks</font>

·
Registered
563 Posts
<font color='#000000'>i understand that you dont want to put $$ in to rims and new rubber i agree it is expensive.

but the fact remains that that car would have come factory with a 185/65/r14 tyre and a 14x6 rim. not the 13x6 or 13x5.5 rim you currently have. which means that the previous owner(s) have no doubt changed it at some point. having the higher profile tyre means you wont handle as well. higher sidewall means more flex and hence your cornereing wont be as flat and as a result safe.

a 185/65/14 tyre provides you with 120mm of sidewall and a rolling diameter of  596mm

whereas a 165/70/13 gives a sidewall of 120 again but a rolling diameter of 561mm so you would get a smaller rolling diameter, hence better acceleration so you to do the same speed you need to do more revolutions of the wheel and hence engine as a result poorer economy.

a 165/80/13 gives a higher sidewall 132mm but a rolling diameter of 594mm much closer to what the OEM wheel/tyre was. but the higher sidewall is going to provide poorer performance.

but to answer your question better. your speedo WAS out now it is correct.

correct me if im wrong anyone else but celi takes speedo from front (driven) wheels.... ?

the 165/80 tyre will kick your speedo out by only a tine bit (+0.3% to be exact) so when speedo says 100km/h you will actually be going 99.7km/h  whereas with the 165/70 it was +5.9 % so when your speedo said 100 it was 94.1

if your strapped for cash, id get the ones replaced on the back with the larger tyre (correct rolling diameter) and then save up some bucks for some bigger even 15" rims and rubber. rember look in the paper or tradingpost ? dunno if you have something like it there (trading post here is just a paper or classified ads and thats all) or ebay and you can often pick some decent ones up cheap second hand.

that said if you wont push your car too hard the smaller rims with the larger tyre will prob be ok but just be careful if you want to push it abit the limits of handling will be lower with higher sidewall and 20mm less rubber contact area.

ive got the factory 185/65/14 rubber with 14x6 rims on mine and that handles rasnoably well. (Goodyear Eagle GA Plus) but am going to replace with a 17x7 rim and either a 215/40/17 or a 205/40/17 rubber

either way, get the bigger tyres on there for the moment and then consider upgrade later. i know what you mean being stapped for cash im 20 and a full time student and pouring $$ into the car is tough but pays off.

just rember that those four contact patches make a big diff to the car's driving pattern/ability so just be aware of that.</font>

·
Registered
20 Posts
<font color='#000000'>i'll sell u a set of 15's w/ good tires very cheap, they are on my car now, american racing rims, 15's. im bumping up to 17's or 18's and when i do i can sell them to ya if u want...very cheap...talking 300 or less. plus shipping of course.
</font>

·
Registered
563 Posts
<font color='#000000'>see there face  you can pick up some 2nd hand cheap. neglecting your rubber can be a dangerous thing to do, easp if you push your car a bit,.</font>

·
Registered
563 Posts
<font color='#000000'>hehe no probs, im just a fan of good rubber.........

rember the better the tyre you get the quicker youll wear it out. the better they grip the softer the compound and the quicker you kill them. that said they stick like you are on rails.</font>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts