Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this former Celebrity Challenge car. Built by TRD for that years races, then sold off. Still wears its original graphics(which will soon be gone). Factory-built header, strut brace, cold air, rear disc conversion, full cage, etc. we’ll be campaigning it in the southeast in LeMons and perhaps ChampCar. I’m sure I’ll be asking lots of newbie questions along the way, including a wheel-interchange question I’m already working on for the forum.
Car Automotive parking light Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Tire

And here are the graphics we’ll be running. Still a retro Factory Toyota theme, just not as “90’s look”.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s the plan. We’ve got some maintenace/freshening up to do before we do anything with it. But we plan to run LeMons, King of the Heap, and maybe if we get really crazy, a ChampCar race or two.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That’s the plan. We’ve got some maintenace/freshening up to do before we do anything with it. But we plan to run LeMons, King of the Heap, and maybe if we get really crazy, a ChampCar race or two.
The reason I ask is because of the $500 buy rule. Is that still a thing with Lemons? If I were a judge I'd definitely give $500 for that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welllllll…yes and no. Yes, the idea is that you start with a $500 car. You can start with a car you paid more than $500 for, but then sell off pieces like interior stuff, etc to bring the ‘cost’ down. Also, the cage and other safety stuff doesn’t count against the $500. Nor do brake upgrades, wheels/tires or cooling system upgrades. That’s all considered reliability and safety stuff, not performance. And they don’t really allow other racers to claim a car for $500…basically to prevent somebody from doing exactly what you’re saying…buying a car with $2k in cage and fire system for $500. But the folks that run LeMons, themselves, say that the best thing to do is to buy a car that’s already built and just buy it. While this car is not a Lemons car to begin with, it’s a 30 yr old Celica. Even in good shape, they’re findable on Marketplace for $1,500 all the time. So I think we’re in the ballpark. Besides, there are some cars that run LeMons that are about as close to full-on race cars as you can get.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts