Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2001 celica GT 1zz-fe 5 speed manual 1.8L
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone I've got a 2001 Celica GT 1zz - Fe with 234000 miles on it. It seems that I've been going through oil more than usual lately. I took some engine Degreaser and tried to clean up the area a bit so it might be a little harder to pinpoint where it's coming from. Where's the valve cover or the head gasket itself. I changed the timing chain tensioner o-ring about a year ago and it cleared up a lot of the leak. I appreciate any of y'all's input and thank you

·
Registered
72 Posts
Was there any oil flung onto the underside of the hood above the serpentine belt?

The last pic shows oil next to the front engine cover also called the timing chain cover. Front cover usually leaks after 150K miles or so. It's a major job removing all accessory pulleys with very little clearance to the engine bay, requiring 8-10 hours for experienced mechanics with the right skills and tools, $400 - 600 labor is good deal.

It could also leak down from the valve cover or valve head gasket. Check those interfaces. but it's best if you take the car to an engine degreaser shop, lift the car up and degrease the entire engine carefully. That's the only way you will be able to see all the leaks. Fix them all at the same time is cheap and sure fire. Fixing them piecemeal by guesses is expensive and usually unsuccessful.

When reinstall or replace a valve cover gasket, Toyota manual says black high temp silicon glue must be added to sharp corners of the cover, especially at the 2 spots where valve cover, head and front timing chain cover meet, otherwise there will be leaks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts