Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm new to autocross (I've done 3 events in a 98' mustang GT-CAMT) and realized that I need to go to street class if I want to be competitive. The only options I've found to be competitive and on a budget is, either race a Miata in E-street or.... (took me awhile to find this option) a Celica GT has been known to do fairly well in G-street. I'm not a big fan of the miata so the celica seems to be the most likely option. Now from what I've researched the past day is that the Celica GT is the best option for autox as opposed to the GTS because it weighs less, has the same torque, and the gear ratio is better due to having a 5spd rather than the GTS's 6spd. Is there a specific year of GT that I should look for? (I heard 2000 is the best year). Also, since the GT has the 1zz engine, it apparently has issues with the oil pump/pan...?? Is this something that's easy to address? What other issues are there? What else can you tell me about this car in terms of using it as a dedicated autox build?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to autocross (I've done 3 events in a 98' mustang GT-CAMT) and realized that I need to go to street class if I want to be competitive. The only options I've found to be competitive and on a budget is, either race a Miata in E-street or.... (took me awhile to find this option) a Celica GT has been known to do fairly well in G-street. I'm not a big fan of the miata so the celica seems to be the most likely option. Now from what I've researched the past day is that the Celica GT is the best option for autox as opposed to the GTS because it weighs less, has the same torque, and the gear ratio is better due to having a 5spd rather than the GTS's 6spd. Is there a specific year of GT that I should look for? (I heard 2000 is the best year). Also, since the GT has the 1zz engine, it apparently has issues with the oil pump/pan...?? Is this something that's easy to address? What other issues are there? What else can you tell me about this car in terms of using it as a dedicated autox build?
Hi! I just happened to be here, and I saw your message. I've been autocrossing with SCCA classing rules since 2014. If you want to know what are competitive cars, look through the results from Nationals last year. You can find them in here:

The least expensive, most competitive cars are 99 Miatas, 03-05 Toyota MR2s, 05-2010 Honda Civic SIs, 2010 Mini Coopers, and maybe 2013 Focus STs.

Of these, I'd most avoid the Mini Coopers, due to reliability concerns.

Note that there don't seem to be any Celicas entered at all in any street class. People who go to the nationals events select cars with the intent of being competitive. If a car is competitive, it will show up at nationals.

If you haven't had a chance to drive a Miata on an autocross course yet, try to. It's a much different experience than driving one on the street.

If you go looking for a Miata, make sure you get one that has either the sport suspension package (most desired), or the Bose stereo and tan top (next best). This makes sure you get the Limited Slip Differential, witch is essential to being competitive. The 99s are most desirable, followed by 2000, followed by 01-05. Make sure that you get a 5-speed car, as the gearing is more suited to autocross than the 6-speed cars.

These links to www.miata.net are excellent resources:

Miata.net - 99Central

Miata.net - Mazda MX-5 Miata FAQ - Production Information

1 - 2 of 2 Posts