Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I should share some good stories of my various top speed attempts on local roads. So, here in so cal there is this road about 6 blocks north of where I live, it's about 2 miles long at the straight; no stop lights or stop signs, pretty smooth road and completely dead in the middle of the night. Besides that, there is a large median that helps dissuade cops on the other side from going over it to your side, and there are a million escape routes going in multiple directions every few blocks. So naturally I designated it my personal drag strip and have been pulling high speed runs there for quite a few years. I've done about 114 in my old civic, and 117 in my Celica there, but get this; some time ago I was doing a high speed run, going about 110 (the speed limit is 35) and I'm reaching my usual turn off, so I brake hard and get ready to make the turn. JUST as I'm making the turn a cop is pulling onto my side going in my direction. This guy clearly saw me doing 100+ mph and threw his lights on as he made the turn, thinking I was going to go straight and he would pull behind me. But nope, I made the turn just as he was pulling into the lane next to me, and because of the large median in the middle and turn arounds only every 4 blocks he had to think a bit before doing whatever he was going to do. Well, tough luck for him, b/c that pause gave me the 10 seconds I needed to slowly pull around another corner out of sight and proceed to gun it in the alley ways doing about 60 mph. Few quick turns and high powered accelerations and I was gone; he had no idea what hit him. Had I gone straight? He would have been right behind me in a quick pursuit, but turning in the direction he just came from with how the street was set up prevented him from immediate pursuit. I was tripping, I'm telling you; doing over triple the speed limit in a residential area will get you in DEEP shite. Of course though that didn't dissuade me; I've done about 15 of those 100+ mph runs on that street.

Now, I have a 'safer' location I also go to, a dead flat paved farm road about an hour north of me. 2.5 miles of pristine desolate road with zero lights or stop signs, no side walks, no pedestrians, and zero cross streets, with perfectly clear sight of every car for 5 miles in every direction. Basically an ultimate street drag strip; perfectly safe and as long as you only go when no cars are around, it is impossible for a cop to see you, since you will see them long before. My top speed in the old civic was 121 mph, and my recent run in my Celica GTS had me going 130 mph, from a dead stop though. In the civic I used a 1 mile curved 'introduction' road before it to reach 98 mph, and then gunned it for 2 miles up to 121. My Celica hit 130 mph from a dead stop at the beginning of the 2 mile straight. Now, had I used the intro road and started at 100 mph, I probably would have reached 150 mph. When I'm back in so cal in a few months I'll try it and report my top speed to you guys. But yea, fun stuff! Funny thing, I've never been caught/pulled over for racing, despite doing it a LOT over the past 4 years, I only got a speeding ticket once for doing 80 on the freeway, LOL. Though, I mostly race in the deserted mountains at 1 AM.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Your mention of escape route leads me to believe that they are opportunities to get merged upon unexpectedly. Like that dump truck did to Vin Diesel in that one movie involving someone tearing down a straight road going too fast.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, but its a 2 lane road; on the left there is perfect visibility the entire way down, and I immediately slow down to normal speeds if I see a headlight anywhere at any time. On the right, its a bunch of seldom used streets with stop signs. Even if they were to turn on, and I didn't see their headlights (again, this is only very late at night), it would most likely be in the right lane, and I'm always in the left. Various other dynamics make it an exceptionally safe area to go fast, unlike those dumbshmucks who go 150 on 'regular' avenues with a stop light every block, tons of pedestrians, cross traffic, etc...and for that matter, often times before midnight. Still, I do prefer the other road though since that one is infallibly 100% safe.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
We block the roads here when we can. Of course we use remote roads in the forest or mountains that have nothing but agriculture around it, no streets dump onto it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts