Toyota Celica Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Girlfriend just traded her 2000 civic in on a 97 prelude today, and it really sucks, because it will outrun my car.  Its got an H22A in it, and its pretty damn quick....I'm already trying to figure out what to do with my celica to make it faster......

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi 1990bluecelicagt,

Was it a +/- AT. ?? There are many ppl. have problems with that tranny (Luckily, my Prelude's +/- AT still works great).  

The V-Tec kicks in ~5k rpm. Before that, I think a stock Celica would not stay behind. And, it is exetremely slow below 3k rpm. You may take advantage on that.

Hope this helps,

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, it's a +/- auto, and my car leaves it before it hits vtec.... but when it does, she passes me up in first...and my celica is not stock, there isn;t much still stock on it, but I do need a turbo bad, just can't afford it...I think I've got like $100 in my checking account....I wish there was some way I could afford it....too bad its hard to get sponsers...lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
The manual one would beat you even wrose.
I also has a Prelude +/-. So, here is the weakness for you.

When it is using +/- mode, it takes longer to shift the gear up compare to shift the gear down.

When it is driving a full auto mode, it doesn't shift until it reads a steady speed. It response like IF it is a FULL one second long.

In other words, when you are driving somewhere that always keep her Prelude shifting, you both would have a good match.
But, keep in mind that Honda runs in high RPM where as Celica is not (well, I am not sure about the new GT-S).

Best wish,

P.S. In the wrst case, here is the trick to win her without modify your Celica. ---Break her engine !!!---  :laugh:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
maybe I'll unplug the wires to the vtec solenoid.......lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
anything is possible if you have the cash...the variable valve timing is all in the head.....its usually done by changing the rocker arm ratio with some kind of solenoid.... I don't think you could add this to a head, but you had the money....you could have a head cast, or several to accept this kind of stuff and change the valve timing and duration.... but it would cost big....now if you were just loaded and wanted one, you could sell the design to a company, like trd or something when you were done and had yours on.  maybe they would buy the patent....or you could design it, sell them the patent and hope they make one, and then buy it when they do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts