Toyota Celica Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color='#000000'>I AM HAVING A BIT OF A DILEMMA,
I AM THINKING OF CHANGING MY POWERPLANT TO A 3SGTE,
BUT ASIDE FROM THE WHOLE OPERATION ON MY POOR CELICA IT COSTS A BLOODY FORTUNE. NOT TO MENITON NOONE KNOWS HOW TO DO IT AROUND HERE.....  "AAAAARGH"
I COULD ALSO JUST STAY WITH THE 5SFE AND SLAP A TURBO KIT ON THAT AND HOPE THAT I GET THE APPROX. SAME POWER AND SAVE A FEW  G'S TO PUT INTO OTHER THINGS ON MY CAR....  
I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ....
DOES ANYONE HAVE ANYSUGGESTIONS???
THX</font>

·
Registered
109 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I think you need to have a long talk with Jhull. He has been nice enough to answer that question a million times and I think it would be best to just talk to him on AIM. I know because I am thinking about the same thing on my 94' GT, but I am stuck with how to get the 3s-gte legal in California.</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000000'>ok this is what i think.....
turboing the 5sfe u would need a lot of stuff to make it reliable figure: turbo, clutch, exhast manifold, fuel pressure regulator, larger fuel injectors, a piggy back system to control the injectors, blow off valve, wastegate, boost controller, boost gauge, intercooler, head gasket (I would go with a thicker one to drop the compression) and then after all of that u would still need all the piping made including the downpipe and exhast, and with all of this u still wouldnt have the performace of the 3sgte. but you wouldnt have to worry about wiring anything
now swapping the 3sgte.. it is a bolt in but again u would need somethings that most of the time dont come with the engine like... clutch for ur tranny, ignitor, maf sensor, computer, intercooler, and again u would need the exhast redone to match the down pipe. but the hardest part would be the wiring, the easiest way to do this is to get a stand alone system then u can keep the stock harness in the car, u will need to swap all the clips for the sensors, but u wouldnt need most of the sensors, u wouldnt need the maf sensor and most of them dont require the ignitor, pretty much all u would need is the injectors, the temp sensor, the intake temp sensor, wires going to the coil, throttle postitioning sensor, and they all come with the map sensor, from there u would need a crank trigger made up for the car, and then u would have the feature of tuning the car anyway u want, which would make that engine perform much more..
so pretty much i cant tell u what idea would be better but i can tell u that the turbo 5sfe project is gonna cost u somewhere around 2k maybe more depending on what brands ect.. u get and where u get everything
and the 3sgte engine alone will cost between 1k-1500 and then u will still need some more things some engines come with more so i cant tell u exactly what u will need, but if u do this i would strongly encourage the engine management but would be much more dependable and be much more power, and a lot higher redline.</font>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font color='#000000'>THANKS FOR THE INFO, YOU HAVE BEEN THE MOST HELP OUT OF EVERY ONE I HAVE TALKED TO!!!!
I ALSO MAY HAVE  A  SHOP THAT HAS DONE THE 3SGTE SWAP.
YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME</font>

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
<font color='#000000'>You may want to hit up Redswan when you start doing this cause he is going to do the same thing is his car, probably right now.  He also has experience turboing the 5sfe (as well as blowing it up :laugh: ) and can give pointers on that too.</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000000'>i also went ahead and turboed my 5sfe but i skipped the injectors and all, and couldnt boost that much without getting spark knock, it can be done, but u will need the upgraded injectors and something to control them as well, if u do go that route redswan can possible make u a kit, i think u'll be on ur own getting the injectors and all but he could probrolly get the exhast manifold and turbo for u</font>

·
Registered
319 Posts
<font color='#810541'>I live in california too.. but i have no idea about this cuz i as well was thinking about turboing the 5sfe or a swap but i dont know how much turboing the 5sfe would cost me... for like the exhaust manifold and turbo.. and what i would need.. but if i get the 3s-gte i wouldnt know where to get it and how much work it would cost... if i do end up getting the swap would putting a cat on there to pass smog really mess the performance up?</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000000'>a cat is not that bad of a thing, most people who removed them including myself will tell u it doesnt make much difference if any, i removed mine and there was no difference in performance, i think the cat is the least thing to worry about with emmisions if u go with the 3sgte, the car runs very rich and will never pass emisions in ca, unless u somehow change the fuel and timing map (stand alone engine management) besides that u wouldnt pass the visual inspection you are driving a "non turbo car" <== says the vin number and your registration, but u have a turbo under your hood</font>

·
Registered
319 Posts
<font color='#810541'>So how would u go about passing smog? would it have to be done some other way?
 i just want to research before i go out and do all of this</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000000'>i would hate to say it man but i dont think there is any legal way of doing it, unless u report to the insurance company, that it is a turboed car, then change everything that says its not a turbo, like title some how u would have to make the vin number say the car is a turbo, so all of ur info for the car matches up, all cars made in cali. have there own computer, but sacrifice a couple hp. they are tuned a little less, well the 3sgte is probrolly tuned a lot less, if they made it in california. u could always do a stand alone system and make a couple maps for it, one for everyday driving one for racing and then make a consirvative one just for getting through emisions, but make sure u keep the egr and cat. it isnt impossible, just gonna be a costly swap</font>

·
Registered
319 Posts
<font color='#810541'>i heard the mr2 has the same motor as the celica? 5sfe? right.. well is the turbo motor the same because if it is then is it possible to find a mr2 turbo motor and take its turbo, exhaust manifold, down pipe, and oil pan and all the neccessities to put it on my car?</font>

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
<font color='#000000'>the mr2 turbo has a 3sgte engine in it the non turbo has the 5sfe engine, u could go ahead and get the exhast manifold turbo ect... of that engine and it would bolt up but again wont be reliable, and u would need much more to make it reliable</font>

1 - 13 of 13 Posts